Transmission/ transfer case problems

allfuze

I was looking into buying a 2007 AWD Fusion. I've heard lots of good stuff and reviews. I've also heard 2 not so good (negative) things: 1) mileage of AWD 2) issues/problems with the AWD system (transfer case if we can call it this).

1) Mileage: as per the various posts I've read in diff. forums, the AWD does use-up a (fair bit) more gas. Especially city. Won't dwell on this, but one person who tested/driven both AWD & FWD V6, said he used $20 more gas per week ($80 vs $60) for his weekly travel with AWD. For roughly same travel. Seems like quite a bit (25 to 33% more depending how you calculate).

2) AWD transfer case: Other issue I heard which may be more serious is there may be some problems with the AWD system. I don't think AWD use a 'transfer-case' as such (4WD used to), but someone working at a car dealer said he already has seen major repair on 2 'transfer-cases' in past months (with mileages in the 15K-25K Km or ~9K-15K Miles). I'm not sure if anyone has heard any such things.

Obviously, AWD systems have more moving parts, more complex, etc... than FWD. But if what I heard is true - and after only 1-year equivalent driving mileage.... what will it be later.

I live in cold area and would love to go with AWD model. I plan on keeping car at least 5-yrs (probably 5-10).

Would love to hear any comments from actual users, people in the know, etc...

I was looking into buying a 2007 AWD Fusion. I've heard lots of good stuff and reviews. I've also heard 2 not so good (negative) things: 1) mileage of AWD 2) issues/problems with the AWD system (transfer case if we can call it this).

1) Mileage: as per the various posts I've read in diff. forums, the AWD does use-up a (fair bit) more gas. Especially city. Won't dwell on this, but one person who tested/driven both AWD & FWD V6, said he used $20 more gas per week ($80 vs $60) for his weekly travel with AWD. For roughly same travel. Seems like quite a bit (25 to 33% more depending how you calculate).

2) AWD transfer case: Other issue I heard which may be more serious is there may be some problems with the AWD system. I don't think AWD use a 'transfer-case' as such (4WD used to), but someone working at a car dealer said he already has seen major repair on 2 'transfer-cases' in past months (with mileages in the 15K-25K Km or ~9K-15K Miles). I'm not sure if anyone has heard any such things.

Obviously, AWD systems have more moving parts, more complex, etc... than FWD. But if what I heard is true - and after only 1-year equivalent driving mileage.... what will it be later.

I live in cold area and would love to go with AWD model. I plan on keeping car at least 5-yrs (probably 5-10).

I've had mine for a year now with no problems. I use it mainly in the winter months. When it warms up I'm on my motorcycle. It gets around 21 mpg combined mileage. 26-27 on a road trip.

I've had mine for a year now with no problems. I use it mainly in the winter months. When it warms up I'm on my motorcycle. It gets around 21 mpg combined mileage. 26-27 on a road trip.

Happy to hear you've had no issues.

How much mileage do you have on yours? And how do you find it in winter driving? How much snow do you get in your area?

For mileage, I was looking around at other AWD/4WD cars. I realized that driving all 4 wheels will cost in terms of gas consumption. All vehicles are rated in the same range. Even the small AWD such as Subaru Impreza, Suzuki, etc... don't get much better mileage.

But key for me is reliability of AWD system. Glad to hear at least one positive response...

Happy to hear you've had no issues.

How much mileage do you have on yours? And how do you find it in winter driving? How much snow do you get in your area?

For mileage, I was looking around at other AWD/4WD cars. I realized that driving all 4 wheels will cost in terms of gas consumption. All vehicles are rated in the same range. Even the small AWD such as Subaru Impreza, Suzuki, etc... don't get much better mileage.

But key for me is reliability of AWD system. Glad to hear at least one positive response...

Only 9900 miles so far. As I said before, it's all cold weather driving. I'm on my bike when the weather warms up. I live in northern Ohio so we have lake effect snow and this car goes REAL well in the snow.

I've got almost 16K miles on my '07 SE V6 AWD with no issues whatsoever. I bought it early last March (I live in Massachusetts) and took it through one snowstorm. I was very impressed with the AWD performance! This winter the car has proved stellar. The AWD is not just for snow but rain, sand and other loose surfaces.

Make sure that the tech that you spoke with wasn't confusing the Fusion (with a Ford USA AWD system) with the Haldex AWD system used in the larger Fords. I work in the parts department of a large Volvo dealership where Haldex failures are quite common.

Using the on-board system, my fuel mileage is a steady 22mpg. A bit down from the 24mpg that I got on my '00 Chevy Impala but I fully realize the usefulness and safety inherent in the AWD choice that I made.

John

• 2 weeks later...

Nice to hear that all of the people above have had positive experience with AWD models. I'll have to verify if its the Haldex AWD they were talking-about. I'm guessing the Five-hundred/Taurus has this particular system.

There was an small article this week in local paper this week about AWD systems and the fact that 'not all systems are created equal'. Interesting piece. There is a new post on "Front wheels limited slip" - I'll have to write some info I read in this article in that post.

Thanks again.

Nice to hear that all of the people above have had positive experience with AWD models. I'll have to verify if its the Haldex AWD they were talking-about. I'm guessing the Five-hundred/Taurus has this particular system.

There was an small article this week in local paper this week about AWD systems and the fact that 'not all systems are created equal'. Interesting piece. There is a new post on "Front wheels limited slip" - I'll have to write some info I read in this article in that post.

Thanks again.

I believe the Five Hundred had Haldex originally but the Taurus is using the new Ford system. But I'm not 100% sure.

• 2 months later...

This might be a bit late, but I have a 2007 SE AWD and I live in Northern Canada, we get -30 to -40 for almost 2 months solid. My Fusion held nice, and worked great. Ford sneakily has been replacing front CV shafts on the AWD Fusions here because they grease that was used in them isn't designed for such cold temps for long times. While this wasn't a safety issue, it did make a nasty noise until the grease warmed up. Once the joints were switched, never heard the sound again, but interestingly enough, the steering felt tighter. I don't regret my choice and they do great in snow, ice, and cold temps.

• 3 months later...

I Think i can say that im living in GOD DAMN COLD Weather here in Northern Alberta, Canada. Half of winter is below -30 F, with a lot of ice and snow. My AWD fusion is very good, specially with good tires on it, never had any problems.

For fuel Economy it was bad for the first 3500 miles, but not it seems to be a lot better , like 10% better that when bought it.

Im recommending the purchase.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Well my post of February 2nd was ok back then, however now at 30,000 miles, my POWER TRANSFER UNIT (PTU) (Transfer Case) is leaking. Started with oil showing up on the floor of my garage. Took it to my local Ford dealer, and they thought it was the seal that comes out of the transfer case, and they replaced the seal, however it is still leaking and it is not coming from the new seal.

Have another appointment on Monday January 5th, with the L/M Dealer that I purchased the car from. Problem in Florida is that there are so few AWD's, that I don't think anyone knows how to fix them. In reading my Owners Manual, it says that the PTU takes 12 oz of a Special Synthetic Oil, and I hope that I have not lost it, but I will let the L/M Techs look, and they can keep the car while they give me a loaner.

They have not looked at it yet, however because the oil is NOT red, I know it is not Transmission Fluid, and it is too thick to be Engine Oil, so the PTU is the only other thing in the area that it could be.

Well my post of February 2nd was ok back then, however now at 30,000 miles, my POWER TRANSFER UNIT (PTU) (Transfer Case) is leaking. Started with oil showing up on the floor of my garage. Took it to my local Ford dealer, and they thought it was the seal that comes out of the transfer case, and they replaced the seal, however it is still leaking and it is not coming from the new seal.

Have another appointment on Monday January 5th, with the L/M Dealer that I purchased the car from. Problem in Florida is that there are so few AWD's, that I don't think anyone knows how to fix them. In reading my Owners Manual, it says that the PTU takes 12 oz of a Special Synthetic Oil, and I hope that I have not lost it, but I will let the L/M Techs look, and they can keep the car while they give me a loaner.

They have not looked at it yet, however because the oil is NOT red, I know it is not Transmission Fluid, and it is too thick to be Engine Oil, so the PTU is the only other thing in the area that it could be.

POWER TRANSFER UNIT (PTU) VENT LEAK TSB 07-16-10 ( Edge/MKX 2007):

http://fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/supp.../tsb/071610.pdf

• 6 months later...
This might be a bit late, but I have a 2007 SE AWD and I live in Northern Canada, we get -30 to -40 for almost 2 months solid. My Fusion held nice, and worked great. Ford sneakily has been replacing front CV shafts on the AWD Fusions here because they grease that was used in them isn't designed for such cold temps for long times. While this wasn't a safety issue, it did make a nasty noise until the grease warmed up. Once the joints were switched, never heard the sound again, but interestingly enough, the steering felt tighter. I don't regret my choice and they do great in snow, ice, and cold temps.

Ours did the clickity-click when cold on hard turns under power, Ours get run hard and put away Wet when I drive it and when Stephanie does she is "good to it" although but the tire wear on the edges I know she pushes it LOL

AWESOME CAR!! Buy one!

EDIT: Ours is a 2007 SEL AWD 45,000

Ours did the clickity-click when cold on hard turns under power, Ours get run hard and put away Wet when I drive it and when Stephanie does she is "good to it" although but the tire wear on the edges I know she pushes it LOL

AWESOME CAR!! Buy one!

EDIT: Ours is a 2007 SEL AWD 45,000

The issue you are having with the car may (very likely!) fall under TSB 07-18-6 SEPTEMBER 2007 Drivetrain - Front Axle Clicking/Ratcheting Noises ( replace front CV shafts). Ford Fusion TSB 07-18-6 should be covered under the 2007 Powertrain Coverage ( 5 years or 60 000 miles, whichever occurs first for all 2007 Fusion/Milan models).

• 1 month later...

We have the 2010 AWD and I did do a little asking about the gear box. I understand that the AWD assembly is the same as what's on the Escape. Having said that, I also understand that there are issues with the support bearings pitting due to condensation accumulating in the case oil. This then leads to seal leakage. This problem would be more of an issue in northern climates, like Canada, were we are. My local garage has noticed this problem in the Escape particularly.

The bearings are simple tapered roller bearings but are unavailable to purchase separately. One has to purchase a new AWD gear box to repair the problem which is quite costly.

I believe the only way to prevent the premature bearing and seal failure would be to increase the oil change interval on the gear box. The operators manual makes no mention of this but I think I will change the gear box oil every second time I change the engine oil. This may help to increase the life of the bearings.

I look forward to any comments or ideas.

Since the Escape was mentioned above, I will say that the AWD in my 07 Escape has been flawless. I live in NJ but do travel throughout the Northeast for my job to include up to New England / Maine / Buffalo etc plus it kicks in when I'm on the boat ramp too which is often slick. If the Fusion's system is like the Escape, then I definitely want it when I buy the Fusion.

I can't comment on the mileage for the Ford but we have a STS that we got on lease. It is the V6 4 wheel drive and has 265 HP. We visit my son and his family which is almost 900 miles from us. In the states that the speed is 70 I go 72 to 75 depending on traffic, 65 speed limit I go almost 70. We average 25.5mpg for the trip. In town we get around 17.7 with 70 city 30% highway. For a almost 5000lb car I consider this very good. We have had this car for almost 3 years now so this is the wway it has been the whole time. I would guess the Ford to be quite a bit lighter so it should do as well. If not either something wrong with car or more likely driver.

We have the 2010 AWD and I did do a little asking about the gear box. I understand that the AWD assembly is the same as what's on the Escape. Having said that, I also understand that there are issues with the support bearings pitting due to condensation accumulating in the case oil. This then leads to seal leakage. This problem would be more of an issue in northern climates, like Canada, were we are. My local garage has noticed this problem in the Escape particularly.

The bearings are simple tapered roller bearings but are unavailable to purchase separately. One has to purchase a new AWD gear box to repair the problem which is quite costly.

I believe the only way to prevent the premature bearing and seal failure would be to increase the oil change interval on the gear box. The operators manual makes no mention of this but I think I will change the gear box oil every second time I change the engine oil. This may help to increase the life of the bearings.

I wanted to know if anyone else has had seal leakage at the AWD gear box assembly due to bearing wear

• 3 months later...

I know this post is a little old!

The '09 Escape was the first year to use the new 6F35 transmission and now it's used in the 2010 Fusion with the 3.0L only, I believe.

There is a TSB on the '09 FE with left hand half-shaft seal leak caused by poor surface finish on the shafts which also may damage the support busing in the case half. Dealers are to replace the half-shaft and inspect the bushing. If the bushing is damaged they must order the case half which comes with the bushing installed and a new seal.

There are FE owners reporting that there FE are sitting on dealer lots waiting for the case halfs, some for two weeks now and the dealers have no idea when the parts will come in. One owner reported that their told them that 300 cases were released from back order and gone in one day.

The 2010 Fusion uses the same exact left hand half sahft as the '09 Escape. There isn't any TSB listed for the 2010 Fusion for this problem but it just seems like a matter of time as the 2010 came out in mid-year.

Since many Ford plants are down for the two weeks, it makes it even worse!

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

My 2007 Fusion SE AWD drives amazingly with 116000 km today the dealer found my PTU is full of metal shavings so they are replaceing my PTU covered 100% under my warranty love the car and am glad my warranty was good for something no leaks from the PTU and still drives good the new one will be in the car on tuesday. And I live up north in Canada so the car gets very cold in the winter.

Edited by MichaelPerry

I have an 07 awd bought it with 23k has 55 now and I have not had any issues. I drive it all over. The only issue ive had is a bad control arm bushing which is nothing. I usually get around 21 to 22 mpg city and 28 to 29 around town. Just went from Ohio to NC last week with the AC full blast and 4 people plus luggage in the car got 25 the entire trip.

• 9 months later...

I have had to replace every part in the Drivetrain except the Engine and this. I suppose this is next.

I have 91k miles on mine and I had both driveshafts replaced two weeks ago because of the "whirring" issue. Noise is almost gone but not completley, and my mechanic thinks that this part is the issue.