Ford Fusion / Mazda 6 platform?

How much architechture, powertrain parts does the Fusion actually share with the Mazda 6?

The frame that both cars are built on is the same. As for which powertrain parts, Mazda and Ford share engines and many other parts, however I'm not sure if theyre EXACTLY the same or interchangeable.

The frame that both cars are built on is the same. As for which powertrain parts, Mazda and Ford share engines and many other parts, however I'm not sure if theyre EXACTLY the same or interchangeable.

I think the top end (heads) are potentially different along with the intake and PCM (computer controls).

Also - the 05-09 Fusion started with a Mazda6 platform but it was lengthened and widened. I believe the 09 Mazda6 and 2010 fusion may now share the same platform (CD3-2).

• 2 weeks later...

About the 05-08 Fusion chassis:

"A satisfying ride and rewarding handling begin with a stiff chassis," says Ford, thanks to a torsional rigidity that is 12.7% higher than on the base architecture (the Mazda6). "The Fusion's steering is responsive and agile," says Brian Vought, Fusion's chief engineer

http://www.cartest.ca/2006_ford_fusion.htm

...chief engineer Brian Vought acknowledges that 40 percent of the Mazda 6's chassis is carried over with minimal changes. That's great news, because the 6 was born under the zoom-zoom sign, and Mazda engineers willingly pointed out their car's weaknesses so that Ford could fix them.

Stretching the 6's width and wheelbase by 2.1 inches and its length by 3.4 inches spotted the Fusion in the upper half of the mid-size segment, where the Accord, the Nissan Altima, and the Toyota Camry live. Ford raised structural stiffness by 10 percent, ...

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/sedan...sion/index.html

Hold on a second. :stop: At the end of the automobilemag article it talks about the L position being a performance shift mode kind of thing ?

I apologize if I just didn't read the manual enough but is this true ? I thought L was just a low gear mode for slippery conditions etc.,.

I'd be interested in hearing what others experiences are with this.

Hold on a second. :stop: At the end of the automobilemag article it talks about the L position being a performance shift mode kind of thing ?

I apologize if I just didn't read the manual enough but is this true ? I thought L was just a low gear mode for slippery conditions etc.,.

I'd be interested in hearing what others experiences are with this.

Hi gtppilot. :D You will notice that the Automobile Magazine article is an early release article concerning the first year, 2006 Fusion (before it was even available for sale). That statement concerning the "L" mode was just a bit of accidental early release misinformation.

The "L" mode for the Fusion/Milan/MKZ triplets is neither a "performance shift mode",nor a "low gear mode for slippery conditions."

As the Fusion/Milan/MKZ Owners Manuals explain:

L (Low)

Provides more engine braking when the accelerator pedal is released

than D (Drive).

It is simply meant to give more engine braking while driving in hilly and mountainous driving situations. By providing increased engine braking, you do not need to ride the brakes as much to maintain speed in long downhill conditions, thus decreasing the chance or brake related failures due to overheated brakes.

The "L" setting will not increase performance/acceleration in the least. Under hard acceleration, the transmission will still shift at the same points as the "D" setting. It simply will not upshift as readily when you take your foot off the gas (again, for engine braking purposes in hilly/mountainous driving.

Also, in slippery conditions you are actually better off in a higher gear than a lower one, as there is less chance of your tires breaking loose. So "L" should not be used in slippery conditions, as the sudden engine braking which can occur when you take your foot off the gas can cause your drive wheels to break loose.

Test it for yourself. First, accelerate at a brisk pace in "D" and then take your foot off the gas. You will see that the transmission will upshift and the car will coast.

Now do the same in "L". Accelerate briskly to the same speed and take your foot off the accelerator. You will see that the transmission will not upshift as readily when you take your foot off the gas. It will remain in a lower gear and you will feel the car noticeably slow down. You will feel and hear that the engine RPM's will stay higher, since the car will remain in a lower gear. That is engine braking.

Hope this information helps.

Good luck. :beerchug: