18" Ford Edge rims on my AWD Fusion

Double Vision

I think they came out pretty good... car has a nice stance compared to stock rims. The bolt pattern and offset is exactly the same on the Edge and Fusion. So what you see are 225/45/18 Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Ultra-performance all season radials compared to the 225/50/17 stock size.

2386505790101139552S425x425Q85.jpg

2262402160101139552S425x425Q85.jpg

I think they came out pretty good... car has a nice stance compared to stock rims. The bolt pattern and offset is exactly the same on the Edge and Fusion. So what you see are 225/45/18 Bridgestone Potenza RE960AS Ultra-performance all season radials compared to the 225/50/17 stock size.

2386505790101139552S425x425Q85.jpg

2262402160101139552S425x425Q85.jpg

Nice. No speedo recalibration needed with the aspect ratio change? What do they call that, plus 1 or something???

Nice. No speedo recalibration needed with the aspect ratio change? What do they call that, plus 1 or something???

Outside tire diameter is less than 2mm difference. At 65mph with the new wheels the speedometer (if it was this technical) will show 64.7. So there is no speedo recalibration or any changes that affects transmission shift points. The 50 aspect to the 45 aspect makes up the difference in the 1" rim size change.

Here is a link to one of the most informative tire sizing aids I have found...

http://www.csgnetwork.com/tireinfo4calc.html

Are your handles chromed, or is that my imagination? If so, where'd you pick that up at?

These are a little 'pricey' for what they are but they are the only ones I have found that are actually made for the Ford Fusion. There are others that cost less and claim they are a universal fit (i.e. Ford Mustang, Mazda 6, Ford Fusion) but they do not fit. I know this as I have tried them already.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FORD-FUSION...sspagenameZWDVW

May be hard to see from the angle in the picture but I previously installed a stainless steel (no rust) highly polished (to a chrome-like finish than coated) upper door trim kit to go along with the door handles.

Make sure the whl/tire size change won't effect the AWD system! I have seen people put different size tires on AWD moutaineers and the transfer cases got smoked from it! Big money to fix!!!!

Thanks for the heads up Scott.. but I would assume the Mountaineer wheel changes was to a bigger size without any regard to wheel diameter. If you go to the chart that I linked above the important factor in all of this is the outside diameter of the tire remaining the same. The factory setup was 17" rims with a higher profile tire and the new setup is 18" rims with a lower profile tire making the diameter measurement almost identical (less than 2mm). If one wanted they could go bigger (if there was enough room) but than the tire sidewall would be almost non-existent to stay within the original diameter thus giving up ride quality to achieve it. You could go smaller such as 16" rim size and have maximum sidewall with something to get back in line with O.E. tire diameter. Whatever direction you take will be fine as long as your combination ends up back at the original tire diameter the AWD system is not effected.

If you purchase an AWD SE model you get 16" wheels and an AWD SEL model comes with 17" wheels...they (the factory) make up the difference in rim size with the actual tire sizing.

These are a little 'pricey' for what they are but they are the only ones I have found that are actually made for the Ford Fusion. There are others that cost less and claim they are a universal fit (i.e. Ford Mustang, Mazda 6, Ford Fusion) but they do not fit. I know this as I have tried them already.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FORD-FUSION...sspagenameZWDVW

May be hard to see from the angle in the picture but I previously installed a stainless steel (no rust) highly polished (to a chrome finish than coated) upper door trim kit to go along with the door handles.

Thanks for the info on that, man. You know your stuff. I located their real site (fenderworld.com) and the price is the same. Maybe I'll try it out some day... for now though a new A/C for my house is taking my play money.

If you purchase an AWD SE model you get 16" wheels and an AWD SEL model comes with 17" wheels...they (the factory) make up the difference in rim size with the actual tire sizing.

The SEL AWD 17-inch wheel is also 7.5 inches wide, versus 7 inches on a regular SEL.

The SEL AWD 17-inch wheel is also 7.5 inches wide, versus 7 inches on a regular SEL.

That's correct... and the 18" Ford Edge rims are 7.5" also. So essentially it's the same setup, you just see more rim and less tire where the stock ones are less rim and more tire. Also there are many aftermarket rims available but I have yet to see one that has the same exact 44mm offset. Many are close with 38mm-40mm but 44mm is hard to find.

2412790100101139552S200x200Q85.jpg

2364903920101139552S200x200Q85.jpg

18" wheels are an option in the calibration. I saw this in on my own Milan. I can check tomorrow to see what the tire size option that came with it. But I'm thinking any dealership will be able to change that in the PCM for ya.

18" wheels are an option in the calibration. I saw this in on my own Milan. I can check tomorrow to see what the tire size option that came with it. But I'm thinking any dealership will be able to change that in the PCM for ya.

That would be great if you can find that Dyoct!. According to the tire sizing chart my size difference is only .44% of a change. I would have to think that I could get that little difference if only by changing to a different tire brand. I think it is safe to say that 10 different tire manufacturers that make a 225/50/17 that at least of few of these would have that much difference between them regarding actual tire circumference. (ie. tire molding process, tire rubber thickness, tread depth, etc.) All tire sizes from each manufacturer are not going to measure exactly the same. My speedo even at 70 mph will show 69.6 with this setup. A recalibration for that much difference seems like lost money as I will probably lose .44% of the tire rubber over the life of the tire.

Old Michelins on 17" rim & tire circumference 81 1/2" <<with 10,025 miles

Bridgestones on 18" rim & tire circumference 81 3/4" <<brand new

Both tires with 35 p.s.i.

Hard to imagine how it could be any closer taking into consideration the tread loss @ 10,025 miles. A recalibration may not even pick up a difference this small.

Here is what Ford is offering on some 2008 Fusion models.. take notice of the tire size for the 18" wheels....

SPORT TOURING PACKAGE (14T)

Availability:

• Optional on SE and SEL, FWD only; req.

Premium CDX6 or Audiophile on SE

Includes:

• Unique Sport Tuned suspension

• Unique front and rear springs, shocks, rear

stabilizer bar, and suspension modules

• Black radiator grille

• Colour keyed fog lamp bezels

• Unique rear decklid "lip" spoiler

• 18" Wheels w/P225/45R18 tires

• "ST" Badge

• Luxury console with red stitching

• Chrome exhaust tips (V6 only)

• Light metallic brush appliqués on centre stack

and IP

• Leather wrapped steering wheel with red

stitching

• Black cloth sport seats with vermillion inserts or

optional black leather with crimson inserts

Required options/Restrictions:

• Available in Black, Silver Birch or Redfire

exterior colours

• Available Charcoal Black interior only

• Cloth seats not available with heat, optional

leather seats include front heat (SEL only)

• 1 month later...
Guess I'm not the only one who likes the Ford Edge 18" wheels on the Fusion... below is the 2008 Fusion Sport Touring package with standard 18" Ford Edge painted aluminum rims....

2580122140101139552S500x500Q85.jpg

You're ahead of the game! It's a smart and safe move by Ford too.

• 4 weeks later...
turbostroke, where did you land your Edge rims and how much did it cost you?

There's a store on Ebay that has a lot of OEM Ford wheels. I think the name is "OEM Wheels". I've bought a couple of things off the site, but never any wheels. Check there and see if any are available.

turbostroke, where did you land your Edge rims and how much did it cost you?

SMALLBIGTALL,

There are a couple of options... One, as stated is Ebay, and the other is possibly your local dealer. The dealer I use will install rims other than factory rims if a customer so desires. Therefore they have Mustang, Fusion, and Edge wheels in their parts dept. for 're-sale'. Most do not advertise this so you may have to ask them. My dealer is a large volume dealer and usually has a few sets around. They did not have an Edge set when I wanted them so I opted for the Ebay route. I have purchased TWO sets from E-bay with zero problems. First set (of 4) cost me $350.00 and the second set (of 4) cost me $310.00. Those prices were for rims and centercaps only. Good luck with your search..use keyword- 'ford edge wheels' on your auction hunt.

Yup. Kinda pricey. What does Ford charge for one wheel?

Not sure what Ford wants for each wheel, but maybe you misunderstood my previous post...

The first set cost me 350.00 divided by 4 = 87.50 each (Shipping included in that price)

The second set cost 310.00 divided by 4 = 77.50 each (Shipping included in that price)

Seems quite a bit better than $200 each.

2503963690101139552S425x425Q85.jpg

turbostroke, you said you had 225/45/18 tires on the Edge wheels, when the tires that come stock on those wheels (on the Edge) are 245/60/18.

How did the 225 tires fit on the 245 rims, did that extra 2cm make a difference?

I wasn't concerned with the Edge tire size... I was actually trying to stay within the same specs as the original FUSION wheel/tire combo which was a 225/50/17. All I did was go to a 225/45/18. This is the same set-up (size wise) that is being offered on the 2008 Fusion SAP sport appearance package.