Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Fusion Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Fusion Forum

Like most online communities, you must register to create a topic, reply to a topic, post photos and more. Registration is free, simple and takes only a few minutes. 

By becoming a member, you'll be able to:

• Choose your own social group icon
• Start new topics and reply to posts
• Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
• Create your own profile page and make new friends
• Send personal messages to other members
• Create a photo album and upload your own photos. . more!

Choose your Ford Fusion Social Group!

Posted Image

Click here to register now

Guest Message by DevFuse

The official Ford Fusion Registry is live - more here.

Photo
- - - - -

Swollen Lug Nuts?

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   drolds1

drolds1

Fusion Forum Enthusiast

• 2,448 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • My Fusion:Decline
  • Social Group: myfusion

Posted 08 April 2017 - 11:42 AM

This is just amazing to me. The early Lincoln LSes has the same problem in 1999. The outer decorative cover would eventually become distorted and you'd have to hammer a 6-point,19mm socket onto the lug nut. Ford eventually replaced them. Some owners found that certain Chrysler lugs fit and were much more robust than the Ford pieces.

Some things never change!
  • WWWPerfA_ZN0W likes this

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   hermans

hermans

Advanced Member

• Fusion Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 380 posts
  • My Fusion:None
  • Current Vehicle:2016 Edge Ti, 2015 Lincoln MKC and 2013 MKZh

Posted 09 April 2017 - 03:15 PM

I just changed out the winter tires on my 2013 MKZh and 5 lug nuts were replaced. Luckily I had 20 spares from when I bought the snow tires from Tire Rack. When I had this problem on my 2010 I bought 20 from Pepboys for $35.00. You'd have thought Ford would have fixed this years ago. BTW dealer full price for 20 is $186.00.

The tech that worked on my car said Ford now supplies the dealers with a special socket that works really well.

#23 OFFLINE   TinCan1949

TinCan1949

New Fusion Member

• Fusion Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • My Fusion:2011
  • Current Vehicle:2011 fusion

Posted 18 May 2017 - 05:39 PM

Swollen Lug Nuts

The definitive answer on the strange lug nuts for some 2010-2011 Fusion/Milan cars. These leg nuts have two functions; to hold the wheel at a torque of 100lbs and snuglyhold the suspended wheel cover. The lug nuts have a beveled end for the wheel and further up the nuts a ridge to act as a retainer for the wheel cover. That is what makes these so unique. They are steel with a chrome cap, which always rusts and swells. These are hard to find and way more expensive than other chrome ones. The replacements are Dorman 611-306 and range in cost for 20 from $100 to $180. I had to replace all 20 of mine recently as my lug wrench would not go over the swollen nuts. And on one of the new ones the cap fell off and the store replaced it. Crappy design Ford and crappy manufacturing Dorman. The pictures are of the whell cover, online prices, and the defective replacement nut cap that fell off.  BTW: other companies use the chrome cap method too vs solid and they all rust and swell.

Attached File  Lug nuts-1.jpg   166.69KB   0 downloadsAttached File  Lug nuts-2.jpg   99.83KB   0 downloadsAttached File  Lug nuts-3.jpg   155.33KB   0 downloadsAttached File  Lug nuts-4.jpg   221.3KB   0 downloadsAttached File  Lug nuts-5.jpg   173.31KB   0 downloadsAttached File  Lug nuts-defective-1.jpg   384.95KB   0 downloadsAttached File  Lug nuts-defective-2.jpg   160.87KB   0 downloads

Edited by TinCan1949, 18 May 2017 - 05:40 PM.

• WWWPerfA_ZN0W likes this

#24 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

Fusion Forum Fanatic

• 6,700 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Titanium Ruby Red

Posted 19 May 2017 - 07:28 AM

Had those on my 1995 Ranger.   They've been around forever.   Also had them on a Lincoln LS but replaced them with solid ones.

#25 OFFLINE   twiggy144

twiggy144

Advanced Member

• Fusion Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion SEL AWD 2007

Posted 19 May 2017 - 07:36 AM

My local auto parts store sells  wheel nuts for $0.75 each. I always keep a few in my glove box, and when one nut gets too rusty for my taste, I discard it and use a new one.

#26 OFFLINE   drolds1

drolds1

Fusion Forum Enthusiast

• 2,448 posts

Posted 19 May 2017 - 11:47 AM

We have two threads running for the same topic. The first is from 2015.  The two have now been merged

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·