Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Fusion Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Fusion Forum

Like most online communities, you must register to create a topic, reply to a topic, post photos and more. Registration is free, simple and takes only a few minutes. 

By becoming a member, you'll be able to:

• Choose your own social group icon
• Start new topics and reply to posts
• Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
• Create your own profile page and make new friends
• Send personal messages to other members
• Create a photo album and upload your own photos. . more!

Choose your Ford Fusion Social Group!

Posted Image

Click here to register now

Guest Message by DevFuse

We're now running on a dedicated server, which is far faster and more stable.  
More changes on ongoing...

Photo
- - - - -

Soft brakes but not master cylinder

09 Fusion soft brakes

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   57Chevy

57Chevy

New Fusion Member

• Fusion Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • My Fusion:2009
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion
  • Social Group: myfusion

Posted 10 March 2016 - 01:02 AM

I've been having softening brakes. You can feel then depress even more when stopped. Had it looked at and they thought it was master cylinder. It was worse. They spoke with Ford dealer and were told to bring in the hydraulic brake unit. Pistons not working. They were told by more than a few dealers that this is a known issue from 02-09 Fusion but they won't recall. It's costing about $1000.00 to repair. Anybody else having same issue. I barely have 100,000 miles. Not happy about the lack of acknowledgement on the issue by Ford. The part is "dealer only".

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   WWWPerfA_ZN0W

WWWPerfA_ZN0W

Fusion Forum Member

• Ford Fusion Team
  • 744 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • My Fusion:2010
  • Current Vehicle:2010 Fusion Sport

Posted 10 March 2016 - 05:53 AM

Did you try going to a service shop and having them look at the problem?  Sometimes it's just an issue with dirty fluid (emulating a bad master cylinder), which would then need to be flushed, and any air pockets from the HCU removed while the bleeding is being done.  Might work, and would be way cheaper than having to replace these parts.

#3 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

Fusion Forum Fanatic

• 6,740 posts
  • My Fusion:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Titanium Ruby Red

Posted 10 March 2016 - 09:22 AM

There were no 02-05 Fusions and I don't recall any such widespread problem like that other than a simple booster or master cylinder.

You need to get another opinion.

#4 OFFLINE   drolds1

drolds1

Fusion Forum Enthusiast

• 2,480 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 01:28 PM

Using the 'Search' function above before posting would have revealed that, yes, this has been reported previously. See this thread.

The problem lies with sticking valves in the hydraulic control unit.  This is a problem primarily with the 08 MY.  This is not to say that it can't happen to other MYs.  Some HCUs developed a problem after an ABS event. It's sometimes misdiagnosed as a bad master cylinder.  It's not widespread but it is known.  I guess NHTSA hasn't received enough, if any, complaints about it to open an investigation.  Sounds to me like it would warrant a recall.

Here's a thorough explanation from a Ford tech who has posted many helpful videos on YouTube.

Edited by drolds1, 10 March 2016 - 01:38 PM.

• WWWPerfA_ZN0W likes this

#5 OFFLINE   drolds1

drolds1

Fusion Forum Enthusiast

• 2,480 posts

Posted 10 March 2016 - 01:55 PM

This discussion has been moved to the appropriate forum.

#6 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

Fusion Forum Fanatic

• 6,740 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Titanium Ruby Red

Posted 10 March 2016 - 02:22 PM

Thanks Artie.  I did not remember that previous situation.

#7 OFFLINE   Joeg9100

Joeg9100

New Fusion Member

• Fusion Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • My Fusion:2008
  • Current Vehicle:2998 Fusion s

Posted 25 June 2016 - 02:27 PM

I've been having softening brakes. You can feel then depress even more when stopped. Had it looked at and they thought it was master cylinder. It was worse. They spoke with Ford dealer and were told to bring in the hydraulic brake unit. Pistons not working. They were told by more than a few dealers that this is a known issue from 02-09 Fusion but they won't recall. It's costing about $1000.00 to repair. Anybody else having same issue. I barely have 100,000 miles. Not happy about the lack of acknowledgement on the issue by Ford. The part is "dealer only".

I have the problem in my son's 2008. (It is all over the internet )The symptom is different than yours  he looses braking when ABS activates  by hitting a bump during braking.  Once ABS activates He will lose all braking, pedal to the floor. After a few seconds he pumps up brake pedal and it goes back to normal. For now I removed fuse for ABS. It will have to be replaced though. I don't want to spend $1000 on the car because it has no resale value. 

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·