• Welcome to the Ford Fusion Forum

To enjoy the Ford Fusion Forum's content, please click here to create an account.

• Custom Search

Sign in to follow this  
57Chevy

Soft brakes but not master cylinder

I've been having softening brakes. You can feel then depress even more when stopped. Had it looked at and they thought it was master cylinder. It was worse. They spoke with Ford dealer and were told to bring in the hydraulic brake unit. Pistons not working. They were told by more than a few dealers that this is a known issue from 02-09 Fusion but they won't recall. It's costing about $1000.00 to repair. Anybody else having same issue. I barely have 100,000 miles. Not happy about the lack of acknowledgement on the issue by Ford. The part is "dealer only".

Did you try going to a service shop and having them look at the problem? Sometimes it's just an issue with dirty fluid (emulating a bad master cylinder), which would then need to be flushed, and any air pockets from the HCU removed while the bleeding is being done. Might work, and would be way cheaper than having to replace these parts.

There were no 02-05 Fusions and I don't recall any such widespread problem like that other than a simple booster or master cylinder.

You need to get another opinion.

Using the 'Search' function above before posting would have revealed that, yes, this has been reported previously. See this thread.

The problem lies with sticking valves in the hydraulic control unit. This is a problem primarily with the 08 MY. This is not to say that it can't happen to other MYs. Some HCUs developed a problem after an ABS event. It's sometimes misdiagnosed as a bad master cylinder. It's not widespread but it is known. I guess NHTSA hasn't received enough, if any, complaints about it to open an investigation. Sounds to me like it would warrant a recall.

Here's a thorough explanation from a Ford tech who has posted many helpful videos on YouTube.

Edited by drolds1

This discussion has been moved to the appropriate forum.

Thanks Artie. I did not remember that previous situation.

I've been having softening brakes. You can feel then depress even more when stopped. Had it looked at and they thought it was master cylinder. It was worse. They spoke with Ford dealer and were told to bring in the hydraulic brake unit. Pistons not working. They were told by more than a few dealers that this is a known issue from 02-09 Fusion but they won't recall. It's costing about $1000.00 to repair. Anybody else having same issue. I barely have 100,000 miles. Not happy about the lack of acknowledgement on the issue by Ford. The part is "dealer only".

I have the problem in my son's 2008. (It is all over the internet )The symptom is different than yours he looses braking when ABS activates by hitting a bump during braking. Once ABS activates He will lose all braking, pedal to the floor. After a few seconds he pumps up brake pedal and it goes back to normal. For now I removed fuse for ABS. It will have to be replaced though. I don't want to spend $1000 on the car because it has no resale value.