• Welcome to the Ford Fusion Forum

To enjoy the Ford Fusion Forum's content, please click here to create an account.

• Custom Search

Sign in to follow this  
farmerjg

A Question for the Cleaning Gurus

My drivers door keypad seems to be "dirty" but it won't clean up. It's hard to garner a good image, but if you look in the attached you can see what I'm dealing with. See how it looks like smudges? Well, they aren't smudges. I've tried a really deep cleaning and some GooGone and neither of them have touched the imperfections. To be honest, they look like they're imperfections in the surface rather than something that's on the surface, if that makes sense.

I tried a small amount of buffing compound and some wax but they were also no help. Given that it's a glossy finish I'm hesitant to try really buffing it out but I think that might be what I'm down to. Does anybody out there have any good ideas?

post-29708-0-15823500-1465402251_thumb.jpg

post-29708-0-05879400-1465402254_thumb.jpg

post-29708-0-81926900-1465402256_thumb.jpg

It's hard to see from the pics you posted. Are you the original owner? If so, how did this happen? It looks like some abrasive, caustic chemical was used on it. BTW, I've found that Goo Gone can cause hazing on some plastics.

I don't know if you'll be able to do more than hide the marring. Try a plastic polish. I've had good luck with this on that section and the black plastic panel on the deck lid of my MKZ but they only had fine scratches.

It's hard to see from the pics you posted. Are you the original owner? If so, how did this happen? It looks like some abrasive, caustic chemical was used on it. BTW, I've found that Goo Gone can cause hazing on some plastics.

I don't know if you'll be able to do more than hide the marring. Try a plastic polish. I've had good luck with this on that section and the black plastic panel on the deck lid of my MKZ but they only had fine scratches.

I am not the original owner, it's a "new to me car," and thus I have no idea what the previous owner did. The whole car is very dirty so I'm just working on getting dust/dirt out of places it shouldn't be. I know it was a corporate lease and I'm beginning to get the feeling the corporation was just a company that drives their cars through mud fields. :)

Thanks for the plastic polish recommendation. Something like that is what I was hoping to find by posting here. Hopefully it's successful.

drolds1, you're awesome man. I ended up getting some Novus plastic polish off Amazon (I'm a sucker for Prime and 2-day delivery). They have three different products and I used the 1st and 2nd products and it cleaned up spectacularly. Looking back now there's so many other things I could have used plastic polish on, I'm wondering how it took me 33 years to find this stuff. As before, it's hard to get a non-glare picture, but I tried to get the same keypad pic to show the cleaned up version.

post-29708-0-13755800-1465817450_thumb.jpg

Glad to hear it!

You can use it on the plastic gauge cluster as well.You won't believe the difference. I use a milder plastic polish on the headlights and tail lights too. Makes them look like new and gives that finishing touch when you're washing your car.

That black plastic on the B-pillar has always been prone to scratching. When I dry or wax, I always rub in a straight vertical direction, that way if it does get scratched, it's not as visible as swirls.

Stick with the Novus polish. It works on Polycarbonate and Acrylic. Just follow directions and take your time.