• Welcome to the Ford Fusion Forum

To enjoy the Ford Fusion Forum's content, please click here to create an account.

• Custom Search

Sign in to follow this  
Hasek3139

2010 Ford Fusion Brake Help needed !

2010 Ford Fusion Sport 88k Miles

about 2 months ago my brake all of a sudden didnt work properly, I had to push it all the way to the ground to make it stop, and it didnt stop very well.

Took it to ford, and they said the rear brake caliper needed replacing , and the ABS module was shot , so they replaced with with a used one. about $750

Got the car back, and it wasnt much better , so I took it back. They said the used ABS module was leaking and it needed a replacing, so I got a new one installed. They got the new one, and was ready to give it back, but the new one failed, so they had to replace it again. They tested it and said it still wasnt right, checked the master cylinder and said that was also and issue, and had to replace that and bled it twice. It was at ford for about a week. Just got it back today and it STILL is not better. IM gonna call again in the AM about it.

Does anyone know what else could be wrong? should I get a second opinion ? Are they pulling my leg here?

any help or advice would be appreciated, thanks!

Sounds like the brake booster. I would find a new dealer for sure.

so should i call them again in the AM? or just take it somewhere else

Sounds like the brake booster. I would find a new dealer for sure.

If you have any hope of getting them to foot the bill (all or part) for their previous mistaken diagnosis then you have to go back to the same dealer. If you don't care and just want it fixed right go somewhere else.

If you have any hope of getting them to foot the bill (all or part) for their previous mistaken diagnosis then you have to go back to the same dealer. If you don't care and just want it fixed right go somewhere else.

ok thanks! what is the brake booster

Does anyone know what else could be wrong?

Yes. Your dealer stinks. If I were you, I'd find a different Ford dealer, and perhaps even contact the regional service manager.

ok thanks! what is the brake booster

It uses engine vacuum pressure to increase the braking power - that's where the term power brakes comes from.

perhaps even contact the regional service manager.

Why would Ford care? This isn't warranty work.

You've shelled out all this money and it's still not fixed? If you paid by credit card, I'd call the card issuer and file a protest against payment. Talk to the Service Manager. In CT, all auto repair shops must be licensed by the DMV. If you don't get satisfaction, file a complaint with them.

Below is an example of a power brake booster. It's the drum-like device with the master cylinder attached. It's mounted on your car's firewall under the hood. As akirby states, it accumulates vacuum to assist, or boost, the pressure of your foot on the brake pedal.

BB7387b.png

Edited by drolds1

thanks for the advice so far everyone! In the AM ill call and tell them its still not working and to fix it on their dime, or give some sort of refund, or I will file a complaint with the DMV/ take it else where !

I would have predicted master cylinder, ABS unit, or dirty fluid to be the causes for the brake problems before the booster. There could even be a pinhole leak in the brake lines causing pressure loss, can be hard to pinpoint. If the booster fails, the brake pedal will get very hard to operate. BUT if the master cylinder fails, it can leak into the brake booster and destroy it also. Definitely look for a different dealer, look up reviews online before you go in. If you can find a standalone Lincoln dealership, that may work even better.

And Ford SHOULD care, because the dealership is representing Ford, affecting their good name and goodwill. If the CSR at the 800 number is unresponsive try them on Twitter @FordService.

I thought a soft pedal was the symptom of the common brake booster failure with folks complaining about almost not having any brakes at all.

And Ford SHOULD care, because the dealership is representing Ford, affecting their good name and goodwill. If the CSR at the 800 number is unresponsive try them on Twitter @FordService.

Here is how that conversation would go.

Ford: Mr. Dealer we're concerned about the quality of these non-warranty repairs that you've done.

Dealer: F*** off.

While I'm sure Ford does care about these things there is NOTHING they can do about it. A non-warranty repair is, by law, none of Ford's business.

Reading over Ford's CSP material, you are right, they say it will cause "sponginess" in pedal feel. This must be while the booster progresses to full failure, rather than in full failure mode, so you have partial assist during that time.

In some of the affected vehicles, it is possible for the brake booster to develop a small tear in the diaphragm under certain driving and environmental conditions. If this occurs, the driver may hear a hissing noise while depressing the pedal and may also experience a “spongy” pedal feel without a noticeable effect on braking performance. If the vehicle is not serviced, the tear will eventually expand and the pedal effort required to stop the vehicle will gradually increase. However, in all cases, the fundamental vehicle braking system remains functional.

Yep that's what I was referring to.

hey guys so i dropped it off ! i said refund me for al the work and ill go else where , or take your time fix it with no additional charge , and give me a loaner .

They gave a 2017 Escape titanium for a loaner so lets hope for good news

Edited by Hasek3139

Fingers crossed. Good job.

Tough love :)

Why would Ford care? This isn't warranty work.

Doesn't matter - This isn't just a matter for ford corporate, it's a matter for the service management, and ALL Ford dealership service centers ultimately answer to their regional management... that is, if they want to continue to enjoy things like being able to sell Certified Pre-Owned cars, etc.. Any regional service manager worth his/her salt will definitely take notice of the slipshot service that has been provided to the OP so far, and in all likelihood try to do something about it, in order to maintain a customer long term.

Dealership service managers might not give a crap, but the regional management usually does, at least in my experience.

While I'm sure Ford does care about these things there is NOTHING they can do about it. A non-warranty repair is, by law, none of Ford's business.

Not quite true. Any dealership that wishes to continue to stay in Ford's good graces, and enjoy various sales kickbacks, CPO certification, and other incentives, must meet minimum customer approval levels. Get enough pissed off customers, and your approval rating starts to suffer. Get it low enough, and it can actually make a pretty hefty dent in the bottom line.

hey guys so i dropped it off ! i said refund me for al the work and ill go else where , or take your time fix it with no additional charge , and give me a longer .

They gave a 2017 Escape titanium for a loaner so lets hope for good news

Sounds good. I hope you get a favorable outcome.

Not quite true. Any dealership that wishes to continue to stay in Ford's good graces, and enjoy various sales kickbacks, CPO certification, and other incentives, must meet minimum customer approval levels. Get enough pissed off customers, and your approval rating starts to suffer. Get it low enough, and it can actually make a pretty hefty dent in the bottom line.

That's good to know there is some control, although I fear that only comes into play in extreme cases. I wish Ford had more control given it's their name that gets tarnished. Franchise laws are so outdated.

got the car back ! they said the machine they used to bleed it wants pumping enough hydraulic pressure? so thats why it wants working well - and the replaced the front calipers for free , but they looked weird almost like a porous silver material - and they said they replaced the back calipers but they look rusted and not new so I may go back lol