Have a Fusion Sport?  Check out the Ford Fusion Sport Forum here.

• Welcome to the Ford Fusion Forum

To enjoy the Ford Fusion Forum's content, please click here to create an account.

• Custom Search

Sign in to follow this  
BubblingHorsemeat

chrome exhaust tip soot

Just recently purchased a 2014 SE 2.0. The dual exhaust tips are showing some soot - Eagle Nevr-Dull was suggested to me by a friend. Are these tips actual chrome and has anyone used this product(or something else) to clean the exhaust soot off their tips?

I've been using this Turtle Wax Polish, which will bring back that shine, big time.

100_0723.jpg

I'm guessing this is the new version, seeing as I can't find the bottle with the black label right now.

Mixing in a little E85 (up to E15 final) will also help keep the soot away. These DI engines, like diesel engines, generate soot, but unlike diesel engines do not have a particulate filter.

Mixing in a little E85 (up to E15 final) will also help keep the soot away. These DI engines, like diesel engines, generate soot, but unlike diesel engines do not have a particulate filter.

Why would a direct injected engine generate more soot than a port injected engine?

Can't go wrong with Never Dull

Because Direct Injection is a descendant of Diesel engine tech (common rail). Soot is a problem with these technologies, PFI/MPFI etc are not normally associated with soot.

http://www.southernfs.com/energy/Documents/Soot%20in%20Diesel%20Engines.pdf

The size and type of soot is also important, as the chemical composition & nano-size of GDI/diesel soot is able to interact more easily with biological systems, rather than being precipitated out.

Why would a direct injected engine generate more soot than a port injected engine?

I don't see the logic of attributing soot to direct injection. Soot creation from diesel engines and diesel fuel I can understand, but the OP's vehicle is not a diesel.

I usually agree with WWWPerfA_ZNOW but am missing the science here.

Posted (edited)

Don't GDI engines generally (always?) burn a touch leaner than port injected gasoline engines? Maybe that's a contributing factor.

And according to GOW (Good Ole Wikipedia):

Emissions

In 2013, a research by TÜV NORD found that although gasoline direct injection engines dramatically reduce CO2 emissions, they release about 1,000 times more particles classified by the World Health Organization as harmful than traditional petrol engines and 10 times more than new diesel engines. The release happens because direct injection results in uneven burning of fuel due to uneven mixing of fuel and air (stratification) and because direct injection engines operate with a higher pressure in their cylinders than the older engines.

Sounds like a trade off of CO2 vs. particulates.

Edited by Frank F

Vinegar and tinfoil - don't knock it till you try it. :)

Pipe has to be clean this just polishes and will take of the real sticky particles