Have a Fusion Sport?  Check out the Ford Fusion Sport Forum here.

• Welcome to the Ford Fusion Forum

To enjoy the Ford Fusion Forum's content, please click here to create an account.

• Custom Search

Sign in to follow this  
Thedon1012

13 FUSION 1.6L Ecoboost ticking/knocking noise at idle

Hey everyone,

I am new to this forum stuff but I figured I'd message you all and see what you know...

My 2013 Ford Fusion 1.6L ecoboost is making a ticking/knocking noise at idle. You can really hear it while at a complete stop and in gear. In park you hear it as well but not as loud.. SAYING THAT, the noise is easily heard more inside of the vehicle than outside.

I made a video and posted on YouTube for you all to see... any ideas??? Any help is appreciated. WATCH THE VIDEO!!

I started to post that the ticking is completely normal. It's a characteristic of almost all direct injection engines. But that's much more of a knock than a tick and that isn't normal. Almost sounds like an exhaust leak. Check the exhaust under the vehicle. Do you smell exhaust fumes?

Hey thanks for replying. No exhaust fumes or anything.. I haven't checked the exhaust yet. Seems to be fine. It's done it since I bought it a couple years ago. For some reason I think it may have gotten a bit louder but I'm not sure. You can't hear the noise outside of the car. Just inside when the car is in gear. In park you can't hear it.

Sorry I should say in park you can't hear it as loud...

How many miles on your Fusion? Have you opened the hood and taken a look? there are usually two removable items used to muffle the sound: an appearance cover, and a HPFP cover. But the sound could be anything. Exhaust, as akirby said, is a good possibility. Is your Fusion AWD by any chance? Are the motor/trans mounts in good shape?

Like I said I haven't taken a look. Poppin the hood and listening I don't hear anything unusual or disturbing... it's got 99,000KM's on it. So like 60,000 Miles. And nope it's 1.6l FWD. I haven't checked any of the mounts. How can I check those?

One way to check the mounts is with engine movement. You would have someone quickly rev the engine in Park/Neutral (no more than 2000 rpm, do not hold), while you watched for engine movement with the hood propped open. If you see a small amount of movement (typically 1/4" or less), that is normal. More than that, the mounts are not at their best. When completely shot, the engine can move up & down 1" or more (!). Transmission mount, same principle, but now you will check from underneath the car, looking towards the engine bay while the engine is revved.

Sounds like a loose exhaust mount to me. Exhaust pipe bumping against the floor deck.

I belive there is a mount jus aft of the fire wall /center line and one just under the rear seat floor board.

Place your hand on the front floorboard and see if you can feel a knock. Do the same on the rear floorboard.

Just an idea.