Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Fusion Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Fusion Forum

Like most online communities, you must register to create a topic, reply to a topic, post photos and more. Registration is free, simple and takes only a few minutes. 

By becoming a member, you'll be able to:

• Choose your own social group icon
• Start new topics and reply to posts
• Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
• Create your own profile page and make new friends
• Send personal messages to other members
• Create a photo album and upload your own photos. . more!

Choose your Ford Fusion Social Group!

Posted Image

Click here to register now

Guest Message by DevFuse

The official Ford Fusion Registry is live - more here.

Photo
- - - - -

Blower motor hum

blower motor

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Frank F

Frank F

Advanced Member

• Fusion Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • My Fusion:2017
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Fusion Hybrid SE
  • Social Group: myfusion

Posted 08 March 2017 - 10:12 AM

2017 SE Hybrid with seven speed fan settings.

Do they all hum loudly?  It's clearly motor noise.  On setting 1 and 2 I don't hear it.  On setting 3 it's noticeable only if audio muted.  On setting 4 it's clearly noticeable, on settings 5 - 7 it's annoying.  I can understand the sound of the air flowing through the ducting, that's no problem with me.  This is blower motor fan hum in addition.

Anyone else notice this on a Fusion with the seven speed fan?

Edited by Frank F, 08 March 2017 - 10:13 AM.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   andyross

andyross

Advanced Member

• Fusion Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 345 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • My Fusion:2011
  • Current Vehicle:2011 Fusion SEL

Posted 08 March 2017 - 10:21 AM

Almost sounds like the motor isolation mounts are either too stiff or out of position? Unless you can easily see it visually, maybe have it checked out by the dealer. See if you can check out another car or two to see if it's just yours, or something common.

#3 OFFLINE   Frank F

Frank F

Advanced Member

• Fusion Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 08 March 2017 - 02:43 PM

Almost sounds like the motor isolation mounts are either too stiff or out of position? Unless you can easily see it visually, maybe have it checked out by the dealer. See if you can check out another car or two to see if it's just yours, or something common.

Yes, thanks.  I will definitely visit the dealer.  May have to sample some other 2017s to compare with.

#4 OFFLINE   Frank F

Frank F

Advanced Member

• Fusion Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 20 March 2017 - 01:47 PM

Took to dealer under warranty to investigate the blower motor humming and getting louder with each setting from 3 to 7.  Even the service writer said "that would drive me nuts."

From phone call it sounds like they are not going to replace it under warranty.  Word is something to the effect I must have done something to it, because blower motors "don't wear out in Fusions."  Of course they don't.  I did change the cabin air filter - even used Motorcraft.  "Well that's probably it then, most likely something dropped down into the motor and that won't be covered under warranty, blah blah."

I told him he was probably too young to remember the days when there were these things called sealed bearings.  "I know ALL about sealed bearings, blah, blah."  Sure you do, you wrote your doctorate in mechanical engineering on sealed bearings.  Which is why you're a service writer at a Ford dealership.

I see a blower motor for $110 on AutoZone web site.  I may just have to bite the bullet and change it myself.

Although I do have the luxury of trying a few more Ford dealers in the Dallas - Fort Worth area before going that route.

So the real question since "Fusion blower motors do NOT wear out": Anyone ever replace one?  I assume you did just for fun since they "don't wear out."

#5 OFFLINE   andyross

andyross

Advanced Member

• Fusion Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 345 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • My Fusion:2011
  • Current Vehicle:2011 Fusion SEL

Posted 20 March 2017 - 04:42 PM

Some model years have an issue where it makes a ticking noise at some speeds. An updated version should have fixed it.

Being a 2017, why did you change the cabin air filter so soon? It should last 2-3 years.

On my 2011, it's fairly easy to access and change both the filter and motor. Not sure how the 2013+ are.

#6 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

Fusion Forum Fanatic

• 6,700 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • My Fusion:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Titanium Ruby Red

Posted 20 March 2017 - 06:27 PM

Try a different dealer or someone else at the dealership.

#7 OFFLINE   eGuru

eGuru

Advanced Member

• Fusion Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 479 posts
  • My Fusion:2012
  • Current Vehicle:SE

Posted 21 March 2017 - 09:04 AM

If the 2017 is using a PWM controller, the hum may be due to the oscillation of the windings.

The older fusions with the 4-speed manual speed control switched in various resistors to vary the speed and so the power would have been constant (not modulated).

#8 OFFLINE   Frank F

Frank F

Advanced Member

• Fusion Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 21 March 2017 - 11:07 AM

I changed filter at 20k miles; it was filthy.

I must say, the service department fixed the problem.  Apparently some insulation was interfering with the fan.  Once that interference was removed, the fan hum subsided.  I have no idea how that would make a motor hum, but nevertheless, the hum is gone.  Give them credit for fixing the problem.

• WWWPerfA_ZN0W likes this

#9 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

Fusion Forum Fanatic

• 6,700 posts
  • My Fusion:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Titanium Ruby Red

Posted 21 March 2017 - 12:12 PM

Apparently some insulation was interfering with the fan.  Once that interference was removed, the fan hum subsided.  I have no idea how that would make a motor hum, but nevertheless, the hum is gone.  Give them credit for fixing the problem.

Simple - it was touching the squirrel cage as it rotated.   Like putting a playing card in the spokes of your bicycle wheel (for all you old people).

• Frank F likes this

Custom Search

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: blower motor

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·