Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Fusion Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Fusion Forum

Like most online communities, you must register to create a topic, reply to a topic, post photos and more. Registration is free, simple and takes only a few minutes. 

By becoming a member, you'll be able to:

• Choose your own social group icon
• Start new topics and reply to posts
• Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
• Create your own profile page and make new friends
• Send personal messages to other members
• Create a photo album and upload your own photos. . more!

Choose your Ford Fusion Social Group!

Posted Image

Click here to register now

Guest Message by DevFuse

The official Ford Fusion Registry is live - more here.

Photo
- - - - -

Automatic sensing wipers

auto sensing wipers

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Frank F

Frank F

Advanced Member

• Fusion Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • My Fusion:2017
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Fusion Hybrid SE
  • Social Group: myfusion

Posted 14 March 2017 - 08:50 AM

2017 Hybrid SE.  I have a menu item for automatic sensing wipers (on/off), but I've never seen them turn on.  I also don't have the "A" position on the wiper stalk (high, low, intermittent, off) that I believe I saw on the Ford owners site for auto sensing wipers.

I'm beginning to think I do not have autosensing wipers.  But then if so, why would I have the menu item at all?

Are they as easy to test with the car in park, on, and hit the windshield with a water stream / spray from the hose?  I assume it senses via the camera (I have LKS).

https://owner.ford.c...eld-wipers.html

Edited by Frank F, 14 March 2017 - 08:57 AM.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   andyross

andyross

Advanced Member

• Fusion Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 345 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • My Fusion:2011
  • Current Vehicle:2011 Fusion SEL

Posted 14 March 2017 - 09:16 AM

Check your Window sticker. It should list the standard and any optional features. Looking at the Ford site, you have to get the Driver Assist package for rain-sensing wipers. That package adds 602A and Hybrid SE Tech package. Couldn't see the Tech package on it's own. Very confusing.

• Frank F likes this

#3 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

Fusion Forum Fanatic

• 6,700 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • My Fusion:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Titanium Ruby Red

Posted 14 March 2017 - 09:33 AM

You have to turn on the option in the menu, then put the wipers in the 2nd position (intermittent).   Then spray the windshield with the hose and they should come on.  Use the intermittent dial to change the sensitivity.   If you turn off the intermittent feature in the menu then the intermittent setting works normally.

• Frank F likes this

#4 OFFLINE   Frank F

Frank F

Advanced Member

• Fusion Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • My Fusion:2017
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Fusion Hybrid SE

Posted 14 March 2017 - 09:52 AM

Thank you.  I believe the answer to my question is in the owner's manual (RTFM).  Set the stalk position to what I traditionally call "intermittent".  Then adjust what I call the "sweep speed" for water sensitivity as desired.  Ensure rain sensing wipers menu item is enabled (on).

I'm so used to "manual" intermittent that I was keeping the stalk in fully off position, then switching to intermittent (which is really rain sensing) when the few instances of rain I've been in started. 

So... I should be able to put stalk in rain sensing position, adjust the sensitivity and on these sunny days, have it sitting there waiting for rain and not wiping.  Like I said, too many years of driving vehicles with intermittent wipers.

I guess the idea of putting wipers in a "running" position and having them not run (until necessary) is foreign to me.

And of course, if the menu item for rain sensing is off, then the wipers act as traditional intermittent.

#5 OFFLINE   andyross

andyross

Advanced Member

• Fusion Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 345 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • My Fusion:2011
  • Current Vehicle:2011 Fusion SEL

Posted 14 March 2017 - 10:02 AM

It's a bit hard to tell from the pictures on the web site, but the sensor seems similar to my 2011. The rear-view mirror mounting is extra wide. In that area, if you look from the outside, you may see a 'window' inside the solid black outline. That is the sensor. Splash water over that, and the wipers should turn on. Not entirely sure just how it actually senses the water, but assume it can sense an IR beam getting deflected or something.

• Frank F likes this

#6 OFFLINE   Waldo

Waldo

Fusion Forum Member

• Fusion Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,028 posts

Posted 14 March 2017 - 10:05 AM

You've got it Frank.  Just remember when you go into a carwash, the wipers will start up.  So you need to remember to turn them back off in those occasions.  Also up north when we have to scrape the ice and snow off the windshield, it's good to turn them off before you start or they'll knock all the snow right onto your pants...

• ClaveMan and Frank F like this

#7 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

Fusion Forum Fanatic

• 6,700 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • My Fusion:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Titanium Ruby Red

Posted 14 March 2017 - 11:07 AM

Yes, I leave mine in the "armed" position all the time and only turn it off when going through the car wash.   I've only had to turn them on manually a few times - they work pretty well.

• Frank F likes this

#8 OFFLINE   nForrest

nForrest

Advanced Member

• Ford Fusion Team
  • 45 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi Valley
  • My Fusion:2016
  • Current Vehicle:2016 Ford Fusion SE 2.0 Ecoboost

Posted 21 March 2017 - 06:56 PM

This video may help.