Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Fusion Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Fusion Forum

Like most online communities, you must register to create a topic, reply to a topic, post photos and more. Registration is free, simple and takes only a few minutes. 

By becoming a member, you'll be able to:

• Choose your own social group icon
• Start new topics and reply to posts
• Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
• Create your own profile page and make new friends
• Send personal messages to other members
• Create a photo album and upload your own photos. . more!

Choose your Ford Fusion Social Group!

Posted Image

Click here to register now

Guest Message by DevFuse

We're now running on a dedicated server, which is far faster and more stable.  
More changes on ongoing...

Photo
- - - - -

Ford Taurus

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Frank F

Frank F

Advanced Member

• Fusion Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • My Fusion:2017
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Fusion Hybrid SE
  • Social Group: myfusion

Posted 03 April 2017 - 12:53 PM

Probably the wrong forum, maybe even web site to ask, but what the heck, let's see.

Is Ford's full sized vehicle the Taurus rumored to be discontinued at any time?  I would think it would be similarly equipped (and trimmed) as the Fusion, but after looking on-line, I see some things that make me wonder how serious Ford is keeping the Taurus up to date.

1. Foot operated parking brake?
  2. Adaptive cruise control without stop and go?
  3. Non-rotary gear selector -- which I can understand for vehicles with Ford's SelectShift transmissions.  I guess in the Taurus case, they have both SelectShift and not, so why offer both selector and rotary options?  Wouldn't make much sense as far as continuity.

So even with #3 removed, why would the Fusion be getting newer technology implemented before the Taurus?

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

Fusion Forum Fanatic

• 6,740 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • My Fusion:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Titanium Ruby Red

Posted 03 April 2017 - 01:53 PM

Taurus is a dead man walking.   It was originally scheduled to move to the Fusion/Edge CD4 platform last year along with a Chinese version, but those plans were scrapped at the last minute.   Full sized car sales are continuing to drop and it's just not worth a big investment.

What we think is happening is that a new platform is being developed called CD6 that will be used for the next generation Explorer (and a Lincoln Aviator) and that there will be a new full sized sedan for Ford on that platform to replace Taurus (including the police interceptor sedan and utility) in addition to replacing Continental and MKZ.   It's also possible they keep CD4 for Fusion and offer a long wheel base version like Toyota does with Camry and Avalon.   Hard to say for sure other than the current Taurus will soldier on with minimal changes until it gets replaced or killed.

• WWWPerfA_ZN0W likes this

#3 OFFLINE   Waldo

Waldo

Fusion Forum Member

• Fusion Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 02:39 PM

So even with #3 removed, why would the Fusion be getting newer technology implemented before the Taurus?

Because changing all 3 of those things would probably cost around $50million.  With the current sales of the Taurus it wouldn't be good business.

#4 ONLINE   drolds1

drolds1

Fusion Forum Enthusiast

• 2,481 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 03:04 PM

China gets an updated Taurus.  We don't.  It is built on the extended CD4 platform that Allen mentioned above.  It's sold there as a premium vehicle and is most likely to be chauffeur-driven.  The WB is 4" longer than our Taurus.

#5 OFFLINE   andyross

andyross

Advanced Member

• Fusion Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • My Fusion:2011
  • Current Vehicle:2011 Fusion SEL

Posted 04 April 2017 - 09:37 AM

I'm surprised that they won't update the Taurus/MKS. I'd think they would to help spread out the costs of the Continental development, since that is a stretched Fusion. How many years before a totally new platform would be ready? The Volvo-based platforms are getting long in the tooth and get relatively poor reviews.

Edited by andyross, 04 April 2017 - 09:39 AM.

#6 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

Fusion Forum Fanatic

• 6,740 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 09:58 AM

I'm surprised that they won't update the Taurus/MKS. I'd think they would to help spread out the costs of the Continental development, since that is a stretched Fusion. How many years before a totally new platform would be ready? The Volvo-based platforms are getting long in the tooth and get relatively poor reviews.

The MKS was already replaced by Continental.   The new CD4 Taurus is being sold in China.   Even the Continental was really targeted at the China market.  Both were developed on a stretched CD4 platform because that's what was available at the time. 

I think it was a combination of factory utilization (Flat Rock vs. Chicago), Police Interceptor versions and the new CD6 platform (and supposedly a poor focus group score on the new Taurus styling) that made Ford decide to keep the old Taurus for another year or two.

If they were planning to keep the stretched CD4 platform then it would have made sense to go ahead and launch the new Taurus here.

• WWWPerfA_ZN0W likes this

#7 OFFLINE   Frank F

Frank F

Advanced Member

• Fusion Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Fusion Hybrid SE

Posted 04 April 2017 - 12:35 PM

Ok, so it sounds like the Fusion will be the only Ford automobile available with all the advanced technologies they come up with.

I know the Focus and Fiesta are too low margin vehicles for it to trickle down to them; besides a few technologies.  Besides, on the Focus forums people absolutely hate the idea of driver assisted technologies.  Hell, the majority want 4 wheel manual drum brakes, carburetors, AM (only) radio, manual steering, manual windows, 3 on the tree shifting, manual door locks, etc.

#8 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

Fusion Forum Fanatic

• 6,740 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 12:58 PM

I think it's more accurate to say you won't see those on the current D3 Taurus.  But they should be on any new C/D sized vehicle or larger.  We're just not sure what those new cars might be.

#9 OFFLINE   Waldo

Waldo

Fusion Forum Member

• Fusion Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,032 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 03:51 PM

The Mustang has all that stuff, except the shifter anyway.

#10 OFFLINE   Silver14Ti

Silver14Ti

Advanced Member

• Fusion Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Fusion Energi

Posted 04 April 2017 - 04:48 PM

China gets an updated Taurus.  We don't.  It is built on the extended CD4 platform that Allen mentioned above.  It's sold there as a premium vehicle and is most likely to be chauffeur-driven.  The WB is 4" longer than our Taurus.

Speaking of.. Saw this on the way home from work

CD12C624-AD50-47E3-9A72-F7024DACE30E_zps

32B1BFA5-AAF7-4E05-BF62-CCB690FD9FE1_zps

A1068D4B-F07D-45D3-8C35-E97DAEE0F85E_zps

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·