It is a 2014 Fusion SE. I recently got it as a used car and noticed a lot of things I haven't experienced with my previous car. Maybe I am just over cautious.
I noticed a strange idle noise. It sounds like a train moving slowly or it also sounds like a misfire sound. The idle is smooth. i.e. car is not shaking. Here is a video from the rear passenger wheel.
It does not occur all the time. It seems to
1) the noise is from the rear passenger side (the wheel in the video is rear passenger wheel). You can also hear it inside the car. Based on the location, it seems it is from the exhaust. The tail pipe is also on the rear passenger side.
2) it only does this when start cold. If I shut off the car and start it when it is still warm, no noise.
3) The parking lot is not level (nose down slightly). If I put in gear, it still makes the noise. But if I backed up a little bit, the noise disappear.
4) It does not make the noise on a flat parking lot (I am not totally sure. Maybe I haven't waited long enough for car to cool down)
5) No noise when the car is moving, even just moving very very slowly.
What could be the cause of this noise? Exhaust? Or maybe brake related? It does not sounds like any brake noise as you can hear in the video. But the fact that it only does this when parking on the grade (again, this might not be true. I haven't tested it fully) points to a brake related issue. Has anyone else experienced this before?
Edited by coldwaves, 03 April 2017 - 08:44 PM.