Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Fusion Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Fusion Forum

Like most online communities, you must register to create a topic, reply to a topic, post photos and more. Registration is free, simple and takes only a few minutes. 

By becoming a member, you'll be able to:

• Choose your own social group icon
• Start new topics and reply to posts
• Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
• Create your own profile page and make new friends
• Send personal messages to other members
• Create a photo album and upload your own photos. . more!

Choose your Ford Fusion Social Group!

Posted Image

Click here to register now

Guest Message by DevFuse

The official Ford Fusion Registry is live - more here.

Photo
- - - - -

Strange idle noise in 2014 Fusion SE

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   coldwaves

coldwaves

Advanced Member

• Fusion Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • My Fusion:2014
  • Current Vehicle:2014 Ford Fusion SE
  • Social Group: myfusion

Posted 03 April 2017 - 08:34 PM

It is a 2014 Fusion SE. I recently got it as a used car and noticed a lot of things I haven't experienced with my previous car. Maybe I am just over cautious.

I noticed a strange idle noise.  It sounds like a train moving slowly or it also sounds like a misfire sound.  The idle is smooth. i.e. car is not shaking. Here is a video from the rear passenger wheel. 

https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

It does not occur all the time.  It seems to 

1) the noise is from the rear passenger side (the wheel in the video is rear passenger wheel). You can also hear it inside the car. Based on the location, it seems it is from the exhaust. The tail pipe is also on the rear passenger side.

2) it only does this when start cold. If I shut off the car and start it when it is still warm, no noise.

3) The parking lot is not level (nose down slightly). If I put in gear, it still makes the noise. But if I backed up a little bit, the noise disappear.

4) It does not make the noise on a flat parking lot (I am not totally sure. Maybe I haven't waited long enough for car to cool down)

5) No noise when the car is moving, even just moving very very slowly.

What could be the cause of this noise? Exhaust? Or maybe brake related? It does not sounds like any brake noise as you can hear in the video.  But the fact that it only does this when parking on the grade (again, this might not be true. I haven't tested it fully) points to a brake related issue. Has anyone else experienced this before?

Edited by coldwaves, 03 April 2017 - 08:44 PM.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   fusionmanor

fusionmanor

Advanced Member

• Fusion Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2010

Posted 03 April 2017 - 08:56 PM

Sure sounds like the exhaust is hitting somewhere, it has the same rhythm as a 4cyl exhaust pulse. Try taking a glove and grab the muffler tip and move it around, up and down, side to side, in and out, see if it stops......

#3 OFFLINE   coldwaves

coldwaves

Advanced Member

• Fusion Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 03 April 2017 - 09:45 PM

Sure sounds like the exhaust is hitting somewhere, it has the same rhythm as a 4cyl exhaust pulse. Try taking a glove and grab the muffler tip and move it around, up and down, side to side, in and out, see if it stops......

Thanks for the input!

I just started the car again and this time it does not make the noise at all.  I parked in almost the same spot.  Maybe the car is not completely cold yet.  I grab the muffler tip and try to move it around. There are not really much play there.  I will wait until the car totally cools down and try again.  

#4 OFFLINE   coldwaves

coldwaves

Advanced Member

• Fusion Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 05:50 AM

I started the car this morning after it sits over night. The noise came about 1 minute after start. It is the same noise and seems to be from the same location. I grab the exhaust tip and try to move it around. Noise persists. I back up the car a little bit, noise disappear. It is very confusing. The car was parked nose down. Backing up made the car more level. Could this be related? If I move back, turn off engine and restart, noise occurs. When the car warms up, noise disappear. 

I will park in a different spot today and see if the noise persist.

Given the rhythm of the sound, is it possible that it is from the air flow? Exhaust system vibrates when it is in this particular position. I have never seen this in other car though.

Edited by coldwaves, 04 April 2017 - 05:52 AM.

#5 OFFLINE   fusionmanor

fusionmanor

Advanced Member

• Fusion Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 08:44 AM

Something sounds like its pushing or pulling the exhaust too close to the body, maybe a weak/broken rubber hanger, road damage, even a bad motor mount, when the car is level the whole system should move around "kinda" freely by hand. Parking on a incline the engine/trans does rock on it's mounts and pushes or pulls a little on the whole exhaust system.

• Frank F likes this

#6 OFFLINE   coldwaves

coldwaves

Advanced Member

• Fusion Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 09:50 AM

Something sounds like its pushing or pulling the exhaust too close to the body, maybe a weak/broken rubber hanger, road damage, even a bad motor mount, when the car is level the whole system should move around "kinda" freely by hand. Parking on a incline the engine/trans does rock on it's mounts and pushes or pulls a little on the whole exhaust system.

Thanks! This sounds very reasonable to me.  I will try to park it in different position and see what creates the noise.  I feel I am too nervous about the car since I just had this it. Maybe over time, I just don't care as much.

#7 OFFLINE   fusionmanor

fusionmanor

Advanced Member

• Fusion Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 04 April 2017 - 09:58 AM

Cars are big money these days! you should worry..........lol

#8 OFFLINE   coldwaves

coldwaves

Advanced Member

• Fusion Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 07:39 AM

The noise does not consistently occur.  I haven't been able to reproduce the noise since the last post, parking in the same location or parking in various different spots.  Maybe moving around the exhaust tip works, as fusionmanor suggested.  I took the car in to fix a headliner issue and show the video to the service advisor. He doesn't know for sure what it is but he will lift the car and see if any underbody shield or heat shield is loose.  I will keep an eye on this and see it it occurs again.

• Frank F likes this

#9 OFFLINE   coldwaves

coldwaves

Advanced Member

• Fusion Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 05 April 2017 - 12:29 PM

One of the push in plastic clips/pins that holds the underbody shield was broken. I don't know whether that is the cause of the noise or not.  I replaced the broken clips and I will keep observing whether the noise comes back or not.

#10 OFFLINE   coldwaves

coldwaves

Advanced Member

• Fusion Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts

Posted 10 May 2017 - 03:08 PM

I heard the noise last night when I parked my car at a friend's house. It was slightly nose down too.  This time, the car is warm.  So the noise can occur when the car is warm.  I showed the mechanic the video when I took the car in for door latch recall.  He speculated it to be some pump noise.  But he said since it does not replicate, it is hard to know.  I have no idea what it is and it is hard to replicate.  I will just keep updating this thread whenever I hear it in case it is helpful for other people.

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·