Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Fusion Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Fusion Forum

Like most online communities, you must register to create a topic, reply to a topic, post photos and more. Registration is free, simple and takes only a few minutes. 

By becoming a member, you'll be able to:

• Choose your own social group icon
• Start new topics and reply to posts
• Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
• Create your own profile page and make new friends
• Send personal messages to other members
• Create a photo album and upload your own photos. . more!

Choose your Ford Fusion Social Group!

Posted Image

Click here to register now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get your Fusion Registered at the official Ford Authorized Registry here!

Photo
- - - - -

2012- Hesitation and engine quitting

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   briguy_1983

briguy_1983

New Fusion Member

• Fusion Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • My Fusion:2012
  • Current Vehicle:Fusion
  • Social Group: myfusion

Posted 06 April 2017 - 01:39 PM

I have a 2012 Fusion 2.5l.  About 3 years ago I have had this problem with it that once stopped, say at a stop sign, it really hesitates and lurches upon resuming travel.  Periodically when slowing down, such as making a turn or in stop and go traffic, the car will just quit.  It starts right back up like nothing is wrong.  Never get a check engine light or any code to go along with this behavior.  Throttle body was the first thing that was replaced but the problem never stopped.  PCM replacement was suggested next by my dealer and that was changed out.  The problem still persists and the only solution that I'm given is replace the PCM again, a mere month after it was replaced.  Other shops are just at a loss as the Ford service center is.  The other odd thing about this is that it is an April through Oct problem.  In winter my car runs great, no hesitation, no suddenly dying while slowing down.  Now that it is April it quit already turning into work.  

While service dept has been able to duplicate the problem, they have never found anything wrong.  Has anyone else had similar problems or come up with solutions to this?  

I'm frustrated too that this problem started under warranty but I am not outside of the warranty even though the issue was never resolved.  

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   fusionmanor

fusionmanor

Advanced Member

• Fusion Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2010

Posted 06 April 2017 - 02:50 PM

No codes, fires right back up, warmer weather only, changing directions/motion, sounds like a wire harness getting soft and dangling around. Could be pulling sideways on a connector or just shorting out on a bracket somewhere.........

#3 OFFLINE   vsavaglio

vsavaglio

• Fusion Member
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2012 Ford Fusion SE

Posted 19 June 2017 - 03:13 PM

My 2012 was doing something similar last year.  I noticed it only after being on the highway for a little while (at least 30 minutes).  One other thing I noticed is that mine had some shifting issues while on the highway, usually when passing other cars.  On short trips the car was fine, but once it got on the highway for a little bit it would start acting up, hesitation while slowing down and starting from a stop, shifting issues on the highway ("flaring" or spinning in neutral for a moment before shifting, reminded me a lot of the "flare" issue that 2010 and 2011 had, only at a higher speed/gear), etc.  If I stopped and let the car cool down for 10 or 15 minutes it would start up and drive fine until I got back on the highway for a little bit.  My dealer figured out it was a transmission issue, I forget exactly what the problem was, but the torque converter and valve body needed to be replaced, along with a few other components.  If I remember right he explained it as the valves were getting stuck in the valve body, creating wear.  So as the transmission heated up the valves would get stuck, hence the shifting issues and shaking and hesitation when coming to a stop and then starting again.  Anyway, you may want to get going on the highway for a little bit then see how the car shifts, especially when passing.  Good luck.

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·