Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Fusion Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Fusion Forum

Like most online communities, you must register to create a topic, reply to a topic, post photos and more. Registration is free, simple and takes only a few minutes. 

By becoming a member, you'll be able to:

• Choose your own social group icon
• Start new topics and reply to posts
• Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
• Create your own profile page and make new friends
• Send personal messages to other members
• Create a photo album and upload your own photos. . more!

Choose your Ford Fusion Social Group!

Posted Image

Click here to register now

Guest Message by DevFuse

The official Ford Fusion Registry is live - more here.

Photo
- - - - -

Front Struts

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   BlueOval2010

BlueOval2010

Advanced Member

• Ford Fusion Team
  • 297 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • My Fusion:2010
  • Current Vehicle:2010 Fusion Sport
  • Social Group: myfusion

Posted 15 May 2017 - 04:41 PM

I was motoring down the freeway last week in my 2010 Sport when the bottom turn on the right front coil spring broke . I didn't hit anything, it was just fatigued and decided to do a mic drop. If you've never had coil crap out at 75 mph, believe me - it's a real treat. I was only about 2 miles from home so I limped it back to my garage, and removed the left front strut and inspected it too. The bottom coil had a large crack in it also, so I purchased a set of Monroe quick struts. Really easy to install and they ride very nice. I tried to attach a photo of the car, but I'm not sure it made the trip. Anyhow, the front end fell far enough that I couldn't see the top third of the tire inside the wheel well. I only have 70K miles on the car, so if you have a similar model you may want to inspect the struts and coils, or better yet, just go ahead and replace them. Anyone have a similar problem?

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   sirtanon

sirtanon

Advanced Member

• Fusion Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • Current Vehicle:2010 Fusion SE

Posted 16 May 2017 - 01:26 AM

Interesting you mention the Monroe Quick Struts - I actually bought a pair of them about 2 months ago when I noticed creaking coming from the front end going over bumps/curbs.. While I don't have the Sport - I have an SE - they seem like they'd be pretty decent for the price.  I have not installed mine yet, but hopefully I'll be able to get to them this weekend.  I've never tried to tackle suspension work on any of my cars before, but from what I have seen on YouTube, it looks fairly straightforward on this car.  Plus, I live in Phoenix, so I'll have zero rust to contend with.

Seems the original front suspension made it 231,000 miles on this car.. so I guess I can't complain  B)

• BlueOval2010 and WWWPerfA_ZN0W like this

#3 OFFLINE   drolds1

drolds1

Fusion Forum Enthusiast

• 2,448 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • My Fusion:Decline

Posted 16 May 2017 - 02:17 AM

Hmmm...http://www.fordfusio...spring/?p=99390

• BlueOval2010 likes this

#4 OFFLINE   BlueOval2010

BlueOval2010

Advanced Member

• Ford Fusion Team
  • 297 posts

Posted 16 May 2017 - 03:48 PM

Sirtanon - looks like you got your moneys worth out of the OEM's !!!  Just a note - have a floor or bottle jack handy, you'll need it to lift the lower control arm to take the weight off it to help remove the sway bar bolt after you remove the nut - it will likely be in a bind. Have your hex wrenches handy too - you'll need to hold the the sway bar bolt to remove the nut. I won't elaborate on how long I turned that stupid nut before I realized something wasn't right. The first side took 2 hours to change the other side took 40 minutes - learning curve!

Droids1 - yep, looks the the same problem. I think I remember reading that post now, but when I searched the Forum I didn't find any matches. Short term memory loss. I tried to have the guys at the dealership give me a quote, but they won't do it without seeing the car. Even after shelling out $400 for the quick struts I'm sure I saved some change. I did find out the Sport has different struts, so that explains the price. 

• sirtanon likes this

#5 OFFLINE   WWWPerfA_ZN0W

WWWPerfA_ZN0W

Fusion Forum Member

• Ford Fusion Team
  • 734 posts
  • Region:Decline

Posted 17 May 2017 - 09:33 AM

Did you have any kind of warning beforehand, like creaking/groaning/etc.?  Glad you were able to take care of it!

#6 OFFLINE   BlueOval2010

BlueOval2010

Advanced Member

• Ford Fusion Team
  • 297 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 09:57 AM

WWWPerfA_ZNOW - no warning at all. At first I thought the tire blew, but when I pulled over on the berm I found that was not the case. The larger part of the coil fell down over the top of the yoke, so it was easy to figure out what happened.

• WWWPerfA_ZN0W likes this

#7 OFFLINE   sirtanon

sirtanon

Advanced Member

• Fusion Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 100 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • Current Vehicle:2010 Fusion SE

Posted 18 May 2017 - 12:43 PM

Sirtanon - looks like you got your moneys worth out of the OEM's !!!  Just a note - have a floor or bottle jack handy, you'll need it to lift the lower control arm to take the weight off it to help remove the sway bar bolt after you remove the nut - it will likely be in a bind. Have your hex wrenches handy too - you'll need to hold the the sway bar bolt to remove the nut. I won't elaborate on how long I turned that stupid nut before I realized something wasn't right. The first side took 2 hours to change the other side took 40 minutes - learning curve!

I actually have both a 2-ton trolley jack and a 3-ton low-profile floor jack, despite my wife's objections, so I should be in good shape as far as that goes.  I appreciate the heads up about the sway bar bolt, too!

Luckily, the videos I have found are pretty decent, so I'm hoping for a relatively easy job on these... once I finally get around to them, that is.

• BlueOval2010 and WWWPerfA_ZN0W like this

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·