Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Fusion Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Fusion Forum

Like most online communities, you must register to create a topic, reply to a topic, post photos and more. Registration is free, simple and takes only a few minutes. 

By becoming a member, you'll be able to:

• Choose your own social group icon
• Start new topics and reply to posts
• Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
• Create your own profile page and make new friends
• Send personal messages to other members
• Create a photo album and upload your own photos. . more!

Choose your Ford Fusion Social Group!

Posted Image

Click here to register now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get your Fusion Registered at the official Ford Authorized Registry here!

Photo
- - - - -

Hill Start Assist & Service AdvanceTrac

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   GML

GML

• Fusion Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • Region:South America
  • My Fusion:2013
  • Current Vehicle:Ford Fusion 2013 SE
  • Social Group: myfusion

Posted 16 May 2017 - 03:27 PM

Hi fellow Fusion owners,

I'm not sure if there was already a topic on this issue, I'm totally new with this.

Me and my wife own a 2013 Ford Fusion SE and we are from the island of Aruba (Caribbean). Since yesterday our vehicle started showing the messages "Service AdvanceTrac" and also "Hill Start Assist Not Available". This all happened since yesterday, driving in normal conditions. On top of that, also since yesterday (after I saw those messages while driving) the brake lights won't turn off: they kept glowing ever since (this morning I was glad enough to notice the battery did not drained out). So I took the car this morning to our official dealer and it's been there until now, with no updates yet what's wrong with it. Just wanted to check if you guys and/or girls have had the same (bad) experience with this model of Ford. We own this car now for 4 years and it feels like it's been there at the dealer for repair too many times.

Looking forward to hear something from anyone.

Thanks.

Geoffrey

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   eGuru

eGuru

Fusion Forum Member

• Fusion Member
  • PipPip
  • 534 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • My Fusion:2012
  • Current Vehicle:SE

Posted 16 May 2017 - 07:50 PM

Have you ever replaced the battery?

If not, it may be time to do so.

See if disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes causes any of the fault conditions tp disappear upon reconnect.

Do you have an OBD2 device to check for fault codes?

#3 OFFLINE   GML

GML

• Fusion Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 06:34 AM

Hi Eguru,

Thank you for your message.

The battery was replaced in Oct. 2016 by the dealer. Also I do not have a OBD2 scanner to check for fault codes. The vehicle is still at the dealer since yesterday, with no particular updates yet on what might be wrong with it.

#4 OFFLINE   drolds1

drolds1

Fusion Forum Enthusiast

• 2,521 posts
  • My Fusion:Decline

Posted 17 May 2017 - 12:12 PM

You'll have to wait to see what codes they pull from the system.  This could be a bad control module.  Let us know what they find.

#5 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

Fusion Forum Fanatic

• 6,773 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Titanium Ruby Red

Posted 17 May 2017 - 12:54 PM

Sounds like an ABS issue - both of those features use individual ABS channels to apply brakes automatically.

#6 OFFLINE   eGuru

eGuru

Fusion Forum Member

• Fusion Member
  • PipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 01:01 PM

Sounds like an ABS issue - both of those features use individual ABS channels to apply brakes automatically.

Do you think that might also result in the brake lights staying on?

Edited by eGuru, 17 May 2017 - 01:02 PM.

#7 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

Fusion Forum Fanatic

• 6,773 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 01:35 PM

Do you think that might also result in the brake lights staying on?

Maybe - doesn't the system automatically activate the brake lamps under some scenarios?  Maybe during hill start assist?

Thinking it's either the ABS controller or whatever interfaces with it for those features (SJB?  BCM?  PCM?)

Edited by akirby, 17 May 2017 - 01:36 PM.

#8 OFFLINE   GML

GML

• Fusion Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 01:40 PM

Just got a call from the dealer and they told me that the "brake pedal rubber stopper" is broken and must be replaced to fix the issue about the brake lights staying on. I will be charged for that, cause it's "normal" friction. However, I have the car 4 years (it's bought brand new end of March 2013) and the mileage is 66.000 km which is about 41.000 miles. In my opinion that's kind off fast for that particular part to be broken.

About the Hill Start Assist and Service AdvanceTrac they do not have an update yet, since they did not find any fault codes so far.

#9 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

Fusion Forum Fanatic

• 6,773 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 01:58 PM

You're outside the bumper to bumper warranty so that wouldn't be covered anyway and that would explain the brake lights staying on but not the other symptoms.

#10 OFFLINE   GML

GML

• Fusion Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 02:18 PM

Yes, I understand that. So if it broke after 1 week, should that also not have been covered since that is outside the "bumper to bumper warranty"!? See, my issue is (and that's why I mentioned the mileage) that something like that should not brake after only 4 years with a 30.000+ dollar car. My apologies btw, I'm not here to discuss but it's difficult to understand and accept something like that.

#11 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

Fusion Forum Fanatic

• 6,773 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 03:02 PM

Yes, I understand that. So if it broke after 1 week, should that also not have been covered since that is outside the "bumper to bumper warranty"!? See, my issue is (and that's why I mentioned the mileage) that something like that should not brake after only 4 years with a 30.000+ dollar car. My apologies btw, I'm not here to discuss but it's difficult to understand and accept something like that.

Anything can break at any time.  It's entirely possible that you accidentally hit it with your foot or something else hit it at some point.  Things like that don't usually just break on their own, nor is that a common problem from a forum perspective.  I think it's the first one I've heard of.

Did you ask the dealer for an AWA - After Warranty Adjustment?  Sometimes they'll cover all or part of the cost in such a situation but it's completely up to the dealer to ask for it and they usually have to contribute.

If the theory is that nothing should break on a $30K car and if it does the mfr should cover it then that's really an unlimited warranty and Ford would have to add a few thousand dollars to the vehicle for such coverage.   Nothing is free.  That's why it's a limited warranty with specific limits.

BTW - you had the option of purchasing an extended warranty that may have covered the part in question.   You chose not to spend the money on the extended warranty, but you want Ford to fix it for free?   That's like ordering a burger but no fries, getting the burger then asking them to give you the fries for free.

#12 OFFLINE   GML

GML

• Fusion Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 03:37 PM

Hi akirby,

Well, actually I did get an extended warranty for free. Last year I pointed out all the issues to our dealer I'm experiencing with our Ford Fusion and they talked to Ford and agree to "give" us the PremiumCare with no charge whatsoever. Although we were happy about that, it does not take all the problems we have with the car away. No I have this premiumcare warranty until next year (2 year contract), but fixing this brake lights is excluded of that warranty. Again, I understand it's friction, it can break anytime, bumper-to-bumper etc. etc., it's still a smart way of Ford to "shut me up". By giving me me the extended warranty you kinda acknowledge that perhaps there might be indeed troubles with my version of the Fusion 2013, so let's keep them happy as customers. However, I feel it can make things worst. I'm affraid if something breaks, whatever that might be, it won't get covered by this spectacular PremiumCare plan we got.

Anyway, gotta start thinking on my next steps in this matter.

Btw, the car dealer just called and I can pick up my car. They could find any faulty issues or codes. They said the "Hill Start Assisst probably had something to do with the broken rubber of the brake lights pedal".

#13 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

Fusion Forum Fanatic

• 6,773 posts

Posted 17 May 2017 - 04:01 PM

The Ford PremiumCare ESP is about as good as it gets as far as aftermarket warranties go but it doesn't cover everything as you found out.   Something else to keep in mind when considering whether to purchase one or not.  At least you got it at no additional cost.

I suppose it's possible that was the cause of the warning lights but seems strange.   They may have simply cleared the codes and hope it doesn't reoccur.   Only way to be sure is to drive it and see.  If it does reoccur at least you can rule out the brake sensor.

#14 OFFLINE   Rand777

Rand777

New Fusion Member

• Fusion Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • My Fusion:2016
  • Current Vehicle:2016 Ford Fusion

Posted 18 May 2017 - 09:30 AM

I had the same problem Wednesday(5/17/17) - driving normal. I just was at the dealership the day b4 getting a side view mirror fixed and this issue come up. Also my engine icon is on. Hope I can make it thru today. I have an appointment set for Friday morning. All they had to do was fixed my mirror, believe they caused it when they checked everything. Power steering feel like its gone. Can I please get some feedback on this problem? Thank You

Edited by Rand777, 18 May 2017 - 09:35 AM.

#15 OFFLINE   Waldo

Waldo

Fusion Forum Member

• Fusion Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,037 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 11:03 AM

I don't get it, are they talking about the rubber pedal pad, the part that your foot touches?  That part has absolutely nothing to do with the brake lights.  You could take that completely off and nothing would change.  The brake lights are activated by a plunger-type switch on the top of the pedal.  It's the same switch used on pretty much every Ford for the last 10-15 years.  It would be extremely rare for that to fail without something throwing it out of adjustment and it certainly wouldn't be a result of "normal wear and tear".

#16 OFFLINE   drolds1

drolds1

Fusion Forum Enthusiast

• 2,521 posts

Posted 18 May 2017 - 12:30 PM

I don't get it, are they talking about the rubber pedal pad, the part that your foot touches?  That part has absolutely nothing to do with the brake lights.  You could take that completely off and nothing would change.  The brake lights are activated by a plunger-type switch on the top of the pedal.  It's the same switch used on pretty much every Ford for the last 10-15 years.  It would be extremely rare for that to fail without something throwing it out of adjustment and it certainly wouldn't be a result of "normal wear and tear".

It doesn't make any sense to me either.  It sounds like they're referring to some kind of rubber pedal travel limiter but I checked my MKZ and there's nothing like that visible. What limits brake pedal travel on these cars?  I've never heard of this being a problem or "wearing out" in any car. 

#17 OFFLINE   GML

GML

• Fusion Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 01:50 PM

They charged me for the "Brake Pedal Rubber Stopper" which was broken and couldn't be repaired within the terms of premium extended warranty that I have.

Since yesterday (just 5 days after I picked up the car at the dealer) I have the Hill Start Assist Not Available message on my screen...again! This time the brake lights still works fine, so my conclusion is that the rubber stopper had nothing to do with this message I have regularly on my screen while the person at the dealer told me it has.

Seems they cannot find anything and I'm not even sure anymore if I want to take the car at the dealer to look at it...I mean after 4 years these messages keep showing up, there must be something right!?

#18 OFFLINE   akirby

akirby

Fusion Forum Fanatic

• 6,773 posts

Posted 23 May 2017 - 04:59 PM

Find another dealer.  That one seems hopelessly incompetent.  And I would dispute that charge since it didn't fix the problem.

#19 OFFLINE   GML

GML

• Fusion Member
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 07:04 AM

And here I am...again and now with another problem. It's here 8 am in Aruba, and get to work cause the car won't start. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr...

There is just like a rattle sound (something like: takatakatakatakataka and then nothing happens). Just hearing it it sounds like the battery is dead...I mean wtf??

We have only one authorized dealer for Ford vehicles here on the island. This is getting more and more frustrating. It's exactly one week ago since the car been to the dealer.

#20 OFFLINE   eGuru

eGuru

Fusion Forum Member

• Fusion Member
  • PipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 24 May 2017 - 09:04 AM

Yes, sounds like a dead battery.

You should invest in an OBD2 scan tool and FORScan software to determine what fault codes are being generated or go to an independent service center that can (at a minimum) read out the fault codes so the problem can be diagnosed.

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·