Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Fusion Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Fusion Forum

Like most online communities, you must register to create a topic, reply to a topic, post photos and more. Registration is free, simple and takes only a few minutes. 

By becoming a member, you'll be able to:

• Choose your own social group icon
• Start new topics and reply to posts
• Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
• Create your own profile page and make new friends
• Send personal messages to other members
• Create a photo album and upload your own photos. . more!

Choose your Ford Fusion Social Group!

Posted Image

Click here to register now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get your Fusion Registered at the official Ford Authorized Registry here!

Photo
- - - - -

2011 Fusion EPS rack and pinion replacement

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   zackachel

zackachel

New Fusion Member

• Fusion Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • My Fusion:2011
  • Current Vehicle:2011 Ford Fusion SE 2.5L I4 engine
  • Social Group: myfusion

Posted 09 August 2017 - 11:02 AM

Good morning,

I am currently trying to locate technical data on replacing the rack and pinion assembly on the EPS system. I bought a haynes repair manual for 2006 thru 2014 ford fusion and mercury milan. However, it did not include any information on the replacement.  It looks straight forward and most likely requires an alignment and computer reprogram afterwards but i want to make sure. Does anyone have some info on maybe special tools i might require?

Thank you

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   drolds1

drolds1

Fusion Forum Enthusiast

• 2,561 posts
  • My Fusion:Decline

Posted 09 August 2017 - 12:26 PM

I'm surprised that the Haynes manual has no info.   Try alldatadiy.com or get an actual shop manual on DVD.

#3 OFFLINE   zackachel

zackachel

New Fusion Member

• Fusion Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 01:13 PM

I'm surprised that the Haynes manual has no info.   Try alldatadiy.com or get an actual shop manual on DVD.

The only information i found was on traditional hydraulic systems and not the Electronic Power Assisted Steering (EPAS) system... i have tried both alldatadiy.com and the haynes manual only had info on tierods etc.

#4 OFFLINE   eGuru

eGuru

Fusion Forum Member

• Fusion Member
  • PipPip
  • 580 posts
  • My Fusion:2012
  • Current Vehicle:SE

Posted 09 August 2017 - 01:37 PM

The only information i found was on traditional hydraulic systems and not the Electronic Power Assisted Steering (EPAS) system... i have tried both alldatadiy.com and the haynes manual only had info on tierods etc.

The Haynes manuals are pretty much useless as much of the information is old and generic.

• zackachel likes this

#5 OFFLINE   zackachel

zackachel

New Fusion Member

• Fusion Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 04:50 PM

The Haynes manuals are pretty much useless as much of the information is old and generic.

Exactly... i am actually helping my friend avoid a $1900 repair. I cant believe his fusion didnt fall under the recall. His milage is at 108,XXX. of course. We have the rack and pinion delivering tmw. Ive gotten the car up and removed the splash guard. It looks like i need to support the subframe and remove the bolts for it, disconnect tie rods and maybe control arms then unbolt the rack and pinion after unbolting the steering portion. 

#6 OFFLINE   zackachel

zackachel

New Fusion Member

• Fusion Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 06:39 PM

so i found the steps under 

Vehicle » Steering and Suspension » Steering » Steering Gear » Service and Repair 

for anyone that needs the steps. 

install a re manufactured rack, and sell that POS. 

after install steps require alignment and 

1. When installing a new steering gear, it must be configured (using vehicle as-built data or module configuration information retrieved earlier in this procedure). For additional information on configuration, refer to Programmable Module Installation (PMI) in Module Configuration See: Powertrain Management\Computers and Control Systems\Information Bus\Testing and Inspection\Programming and Relearning\Programmable Module Installation (PMI).

#7 OFFLINE   eGuru

eGuru

Fusion Forum Member

• Fusion Member
  • PipPip
  • 580 posts
  • My Fusion:2012
  • Current Vehicle:SE

Posted 09 August 2017 - 08:37 PM

Just curious, what symptons lead to the conclusion that the rack & pinion needed replacing?

#8 OFFLINE   zackachel

zackachel

New Fusion Member

• Fusion Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 10:53 PM

Just curious, what symptons lead to the conclusion that the rack & pinion needed replacing?

Basing it off the recall and how the Power Steering Control Module (PSCM) is so close to the exhaust manifold. I cant find any other data supporting it could be something  else. Ive tried charging the battery and cleaning the connections in case it was a weak electrical connection. Ive checked fuses. My friend explained he was able to restart the car and it fixed it 3 times over the past two weeks and when he started the car it took the car a few seconds to gain electronic steering assist. Until two days ago he got off work and the error was back and no reset helped. The dealer wants $125 to diagnose and from what ive read they almost always claim rack and pinion. So we bought a manufactured rack and pinion gear set with a lifetime warranty.  We are installing it tmw on a lift, then towing it to the dealer for the software upload via IDS and for an allignment. If it doesnt fix the issue then we will return the rack and pinion possibly and go from there.

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·