• Welcome to the Ford Fusion Forum

To enjoy the Ford Fusion Forum's content, please click here to create an account.

• Custom Search

Sign in to follow this  
itsallkosher

Something Wrong MPG

Hi there. I recently got a 2016 Fusion SE with the 1.5 Ecoboost. I read it did a little better on gas than the non-ecoboost. 17000 miles used. The last fill up I did the math and i got 21 mpg. I thought the computer was wrong, but I'm just getting bad mpg. I know not to expect the factory estimates, but I drive 60/40 highway (expressway with no traffic at 65mph) so I'm stunned. I'm a very conservative driver and don't step on the gas at every green light. Yes, I use AC, but I'm still flabbergasted. My crossover SUV does better than this thing. Can something be wrong? 22 city/34 highway and most reviews saying they averaged 26 make me annoyed considering my drive. Am I missing something? Is this normal or is something wrong? Thanks!

I'd recommend that you continue tracking, as I wouldn't base your mpg on one tank of fuel. I use fuelly.com to track mpg on both of my vehicles, but tracking it manually works too.

I have a 2.0T, and my last 3 tanks averaged 19, 20, and 20, with probably 85% city driving and the air conditioning always on, and I never see decent mpg unless it is 100% highway driving.

I agree, your mpg is woefully bad. The average on fuelly for vehicles like yours is 28mpg. City driving kills Fusion turbo mpg in my opinion based on my experience. Honestly, I'd just say keep driving it. I have no suggestions to help improve mpg except to maybe change whoever you buy your gas from as a short term test, or try a different octane. With low miles the vehicle shouldn't need a new air filter or spark plugs yet.

Fuel octane won't make any measurable difference to fuel economy.

A sticky injector will however.

One other option, if you're willing to go through the effort, is to pick up an inexpensive Bluetooth- or wireless-based OBD-II adapter, and download Torque or Torque Pro on your phone, and track your mileage using that. I have an old phone I pretty much keep in my car whenever I'm driving it, and monitor my instant/avg MPG, coolant temp, throttle, vacuum, fuel trim, cat temp, etc.. just to keep an eye on things.

Torque pro is only $4.99, and I bought my OBD-II Bluetooth adapter for about $12.

I'd recommend that you continue tracking, as I wouldn't base your mpg on one tank of fuel. I use fuelly.com to track mpg on both of my vehicles, but tracking it manually works too.

I have a 2.0T, and my last 3 tanks averaged 19, 20, and 20, with probably 85% city driving and the air conditioning always on, and I never see decent mpg unless it is 100% highway driving.

I agree, your mpg is woefully bad. The average on fuelly for vehicles like yours is 28mpg. City driving kills Fusion turbo mpg in my opinion based on my experience. Honestly, I'd just say keep driving it. I have no suggestions to help improve mpg except to maybe change whoever you buy your gas from as a short term test, or try a different octane. With low miles the vehicle shouldn't need a new air filter or spark plugs yet.

I agree with Zip. I drive a 2.0T. Also, I'm at the 17K mileage and my mileage is mostly city and I don't spare the pedal.

The gas you use can make a difference. I went from using a cheap brand of gas to a "Top Tier" brand of gas and my gas mileage did improve. My mileage avg is 22-23. But, on the two long trips I've made my mileage has been 30+.​ It was 20-21 with the cheap gas.

Check out this post I made earlier this year.

http://www.fordfusionforum.com/topic/17042-aaa-fuel-quality-research/

If you have been using cheap gas all this time and have not been getting proper oil changes, you could have buildups on the intake valves that may cause you some problems with mileage.

Octane has nothing to do with gas mileage.

Make sure you aren't using fuel with a high level of ethanol in it. The more ethanol you have, the less your mileage will be. It says it can handle E15, but I go no more than E10 on my 1.5 and I'm getting 29 to 31 mpg average depending on driving habits and AC use. You might try changing gas stations. Some stations are known to put WAY more ethanol in their gas than the label says because it's cheaper. We had a station around where I live that got busted for peddling E30 but labeling it E10. People started noticing bad mpg and having other issues. That led them back to the gas station as the cause.

Bottom line is that you should be getting much better mpg with a 1.5 Eco.

Posted (edited)

You are resetting the meters at fuelups? Otherwise it is cumulating over many fuelups. That could be one possibility. Too early in its' life to be having spark plug/injector issues, but if it was driven a lot in city or high traffic conditions, then plugs would be worth looking at, along with air filter etc.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/PowerSearch.do?action=noform&path=1&year1=2016&year2=2016&make=Ford&baseModel=Fusion&srchtyp=ymm

2016 Ford Fusion FWD 1.5 L, 4 cyl, Automatic (S6), Turbo, Regular Gasoline compare1bv.png2016_Ford_Fusion.jpg
gasflag.png 29 MPG 25 36 combined
city/hwy city hwy 3.4 gal/100 mi
NA $1,250 2016 Ford Fusion FWD 1.5 L, 4 cyl, Automatic (S6), Turbo, Regular Gasoline compare1bv.png2016_Ford_Fusion.jpg
gasflag.png 28 MPG 24 36 combined
city/hwy city hwy 3.6 gal/100 mi
25.3 $1,30 Edited by WWWPerfA_ZN0W