• Welcome to the Ford Fusion Forum

To enjoy the Ford Fusion Forum's content, please click here to create an account.

• Custom Search

Sign in to follow this  
Daver

2014 ford fusion se fwd snow handling

I have a 2014 ford fusion fwd..it has basically like new tires with good thread they are m+s 235/45r18 that came on the car when I purchased it from ford dealership.I drove it on slight snow and ice conditions but it would not handle the slightest of hills it had 0% grip of the road and i had to pull over and leave the car until conditions got better.I am trying to figure out if its a problem with the actual car I purchased or is it the tires?they are for mud and snow afterall..anybody else have the same problem or any input on the matter?

20171011_185336.jpg

Some brands of tires have better traction on snow than others despite being labeled 'M+S.'  What brand and model of tire do you have? 

If you got to tirerack.com, you can find ratings for various tires in various performance categories.  One of the categories is snow traction. 

You might want to consider winter tires in your part of the world.  They will provide superior traction on ice and snow.  I don't think anything's wrong with your car, assuming your traction control's engaged.

Nothing is going to work on ice except chains or studs.   As Art stated you really need winter tires.  Consider buying some cheap wheels to go with the winter tires to make swapping easier.  Tirerack has packages.

16 hours ago, drolds1 said:

Some brands of tires have better traction on snow than others despite being labeled 'M+S.'  What brand and model of tire do you have? 

If you got to tirerack.com, you can find ratings for various tires in various performance categories.  One of the categories is snow traction. 

You might want to consider winter tires in your part of the world.  They will provide superior traction on ice and snow.  I don't think anything's wrong with your car, assuming your traction control's engaged.

In the OP's region (British Columbia), snow tires are mandatory on most highways.

49 minutes ago, eGuru said:

In the OP's region (British Columbia), snow tires are mandatory on most highways.

I wondered about that but was too tired to look it up at that hour.;)  The fact that they've had snow already tells you something.

Also - it may be necessary to turn off traction control when trying to ascend a hill in snow and ice.