Have a Fusion Sport?  Check out the Ford Fusion Sport Forum here.

• Welcome to the Ford Fusion Forum

To enjoy the Ford Fusion Forum's content, please click here to create an account.

• Custom Search

Sign in to follow this  
ESyakr

2.5 2012 Knocking

I have a 2012 Fusion SE, and just put a waterpump and thermostat in it, at 133,000 miles, just as a precaution, no issues with either.  After te install, I put about a gallon and a third of 50-50 water and orange coolant in, but did not bleed it, slip up on my part.  I then started the vehicle, watching the temp.  It held dead center for about 3 minutes.  Then I heard the fan rev up, checked the temp again and it was at about 3/4 the way up.  I immediately shut it down.  Researched how to bleed, and completed the process.  Upon restarting, I heard a noise I can only describe as a knock.  It is faintly noticable with the hood closed if you are really listening for it.  It is noticable with the hood open, but not very loud.  You can not hear it while driving, or in park with the engine even the least bit sped up. Only in park at idle, outside of the car. Also sounds the same when cold or hot, no difference.    Engine runs very smooth.  My questions are

1) Could the slight over heat have caused this or could it have been going for a while, only noticed because the hood was opened for the maintenance work?  

2) What could be going on if the overheat did not cause this? Two experienced mechanics I have showed this to have both saod it sounds like piston noise.  

It does not use any oil and has not used aby coolant since the work was done, although I have only driven about 150 miles since. 

I really cant spend alotof money right now having someone tear the engine apart chasing a noise.  Thanks for any help.

Edited by ESyakr

A ¾ reading on the gauge is not overheating, per se.  It was a little warm.  It's not in the danger zone until it's in the red section of the dial.

Engine coolant temperature gauge: Indicates engine coolant temperature. At normal operating temperature, the needle will be in the normal range (between “H” and “C”). If it enters the red section, the engine is overheating. Stop the vehicle as soon as safely possible, switch off the engine and let the engine cool.

These engines are a little noisy.  Watch this video to determine if yours is making abnormal noise.

Edited by drolds1