Have a Fusion Sport?  Check out the Ford Fusion Sport Forum here.

• Welcome to the Ford Fusion Forum

To enjoy the Ford Fusion Forum's content, please click here to create an account.

• Custom Search

Sign in to follow this  
Kev2002

2017 Fusion SE terrible ride

I just bought a new 2017 Fusion SE with sport appearance package 18 with " factory wheels and goodyear eagle ls2 tires. I've got to say this car rides worse ON any road that is not glass smooth more than any car ive ever owned.  It's not just that you feel every crack in the road, it wallows side to side. feels loose and not connected to road. I only have 300 miles on it and cannot stand it.  

when I test drove the car the roads must have been very smooth or I wouldn't have bought it.  Could it be the tires? or.............   

The Goodyear LS2 are horrendous tires.  I had the same wheel and tire package as you when I purchased the 2016.  I had same problems that you describe.  I lived with it for 20k miles.  I combated the wallowing by keeping the tire pressure at 38 lbs.  I also had a problem with these tires holding air pressure had to check at least once a week.  If I didn't, the low pressure light would come on in about 30 days.  This was on all tires, not just one or two.  I have recently went to Michelins and the ride is much improved, reduced rode noise and no more wallowing.

The Michelins are a great choice.

All the Goodyears are mediocre..

The problem is the tires..  At least that gives me hope. Although, replacing tires on brand new car is  not what I really want to do.  Michelins ? Specs? Thanks!

So I can run the Goodyear's at 38 lbs safety until I replace them?

I believe the cause of the wallowing is the lack of sidewall stiffness on the LS2. Taking the tire to 38 PSI adds a little more stiffness without causing any discernable excess/weird tread wear. It made the bumps a little rougher but, the wallowing was less noticeable.  The wallowing was most noticeable when there was line in pavement running parallel with your direction of travel, especially if there was more than an 1/2 inch depth difference. Could actually cause the steering to pull hard to one side or the other.

See my Post here.

http://www.fordfusionforum.com/topic/17705-new-tires-for-the-2016-se/

I bumped up my width by a hair.  Stock was 235/45R18 and I went with the 245/45R18.

20171028_184057.jpg

Edited by nForrest

I was in the same boat as you with a 2017 on 18s.  Usually you can get discount tire to give you 200 for your tires when they are pretty new.  ive done it many times and just did it on my 2017.  i am selling my 18 inch wheels and went down to 16s.  the car now drives like a grand marquis with the air shocks. i had one of those new in 06. the fusion ride great now. 

there is room if you want to just put a slighlty taller tire on your 18s too. speedo will be off a little though. i went with a 225/60/16 and its only half inch taller and there is still more room left.

IMG_1287.JPG

Knowing there are others that have or are experiencing this defiantly makes me feel better.  So replacing the tires will help? Or is it more the wheel size that these cars do not like?

It is definitely the tire. Has nothing to do with the wheel size. You just have to find the combo that makes you happy with your car.

awesome.  Thanks

today I drove a 2018 Fusion SE with 17" wheels and Michelin Energy tires. It didn't ride as bad as mine but 

The wobble is still there. I cant believe this is normal for Fords.......   I've owned around 25 cars in my life and none handled or rode this poorly. Talk about buyers remorse...