Have a Fusion Sport?  Check out the Ford Fusion Sport Forum here.

• Welcome to the Ford Fusion Forum

To enjoy the Ford Fusion Forum's content, please click here to create an account.

• Custom Search

Sign in to follow this  
Kev2002

87 octane ok to run in my 2017 2.0 ecoboost?

I am used to turbo cars that require 91 or higher octane. I am brand new owner of 2017 Fusion  SE 2.0 Ecoboost. and have heard its ok to run 87 but recommended to run 91 or higher octane. Any  Negative effects of running 87 octane? No risk of damaging engine?  

Regardless of what you may have heard, Ford engineers clearly state that it's OK to use regular fuel. It's right in your owner's guide:

Your vehicle is designed to operate on regular unleaded gasoline with a minimum pump (R+M)/2 octane rating of 87.
Some fuel stations, particularly those in high altitude areas, offer fuels posted as regular unleaded gasoline with an octane rating below 87. We do not recommend these fuels.
For best overall vehicle and engine performance, premium fuel with an octane rating of 91 or higher is recommended. The performance gained by using premium fuel is most noticeable in hot weather as well as other conditions, for example when towing a trailer. See  Towing a Trailer

They're not going to recommend anything that will harm your engine.  Your Ecoboost engine, however, will only develop it's full hp rating using premium.  

We've had this discussion in the past.  See this thread, for example.  Please use the  'Search' function before posting to see if the topic has come up before so that we can avoid multiple threads for the same topic.

Bottom line: you'll have to decide if the additional expense is worth it to you.

got it.  thanks

87 octane is fine but avoid the higher ethanol content types. Zero ethanol is the best choice.

3 hours ago, eGuru said:

87 octane is fine but avoid the higher ethanol content types. Zero ethanol is the best choice.

Absolutely.  Unfortunately, not everyone has a choice.  I can only get E10 where I live. 

As we've mentioned in the past when people complain about unattainable EPA MPG numbers, they test using only only 100% gasoline for a reason.

Agree with all that has been said above.  87 Octane good.  If you want to keep your engine running its best, stick with a top tier fuel and stay away from the "bargain" brands.  Your MPG and Intake valves will thank you for it.  

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-maintenance/study-shows-top-tier-gasoline-worth-extra-price/

Edited by nForrest

I would guess that direct fuel injection engines will not see any benefit at the intake valves because the intake valves never see fuel.

You are correct, gas is not sprayed on the intake valves, but the better gas produces less harmful vapors that get pushed through to the PCV system.  The PCV system being the main culprit on the carbon buildup on the intake valves.  Every little bit helps in that prevention of that build up that we know is happening on ALL our engines.

I am building a scale model of a 1955 Tbird, and it has a crankcase vent tube that just dumps out on the road.  Problem solved!  :)

2 hours ago, Thomas R said:

I am building a scale model of a 1955 Tbird, and it has a crankcase vent tube that just dumps out on the road.  Problem solved!  :)

Yup.  That's the way they did it before emissions laws and PCV valves.  it was called a road draft tube.   All of those nasty crankcase fumes were released directly into the atmosphere.