• Welcome to the Ford Fusion Forum

To enjoy the Ford Fusion Forum's content, please click here to create an account.

• Custom Search

Sign in to follow this  
MyfirstFord

Ambient Lights

Did a search for ambient lights and returned many threads  but not what I am looking for, I am asking what Equipment group and or packages do you have to have to get the ambient lights on a 2016 Fusion SE.  Thanks, Tim

Thanks Art, in the brochure you provided there spelled out in the Titanium  but nothing in any of the other groups. Interesting they were available but Ford thought better of it to offer them in anything but the Titanium.  Tim

It's a fairly easy and fun project to add the ambient lighting to your SE if you are comfortable with disassembling the console and popping off the door trim.

eGuru it is?  No I'm not apposed at all, especially if there is guidance along the way and the instruction are fairly straight forward.  Popping door trim is no biggie how much console disassembly is there? Tim

10 hours ago, MyfirstFord said:

eGuru it is?  No I'm not apposed at all, especially if there is guidance along the way and the instruction are fairly straight forward.  Popping door trim is no biggie how much console disassembly is there? Tim

For the console disassembly, you only need to be able to remove the cupholder assembly and the back panel to add the LEDs. I did it all with components from local electronics supply houses for a fraction of the OEM parts cost. I'll dig out my parts lists, etc.

On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 9:09 PM, eGuru said:

For the console disassembly, you only need to be able to remove the cupholder assembly and the back panel to add the LEDs. I did it all with components from local electronics supply houses for a fraction of the OEM parts cost. I'll dig out my parts lists, etc.

eGuru any luck? Tim

For the front footwell lighting I used 5050 RGB LED strips in a cut to size aluminum extrusion (with acrylic lense).
Get a strip that does not have a waterproof coating over the LEDs as this will not be of benefit when you make the cupholder lighting.

Cupholder lighting was built from 6mm thick acrylic sandwiched between the upper and lower sections of the cupholder.
I traced the inside of the cupholder profile on the acrylic and cut that out so that it made a seamless transition. 
The outer profile generally follows the inner so that there is about a 10mm wall thickness. 
I used epoxy to bond the LED strip to the outer perimeter (making sure that each LED was embedded in the epoxy for good optical coupling to the substrate).

The rear footwell lighting was made with 2 3W RGB LED's (https://www.adafruit.com/product/2530) that poke through the back face of the center console (about 4cm from floor level).
Those LEDs have their heatsinks bolted to a small aluminum sheet for heat dissipation.

All of the LEDs are controlled by a small RF controller - easily obtained from many sources (http://ledmontreal.com/en/led-connectors-and-accessories-led-montreal/10-key-rf-remote-control-for-rgb-led-strips.html)

I have added pictures for some items you might find handy for building your project.

Edit - couldn't add the attachments after saving the post. Thought edit mode would allow - but apparently not.

Edited by eGuru
wantrd to add attachments

33 minutes ago, eGuru said:

For the front footwell lighting I used 5050 RGB LED strips in a cut to size aluminum extrusion (with acrylic lense).
Get a strip that does not have a waterproof coating over the LEDs as this will not be of benefit when you make the cupholder lighting.

Cupholder lighting was built from 6mm thick acrylic sandwiched between the upper and lower sections of the cupholder.
I traced the inside of the cupholder profile on the acrylic and cut that out so that it made a seamless transition. 
The outer profile generally follows the inner so that there is about a 10mm wall thickness. 
I used epoxy to bond the LED strip to the outer perimeter (making sure that each LED was embedded in the epoxy for good optical coupling to the substrate).

The rear footwell lighting was made with 2 3W RGB LED's (https://www.adafruit.com/product/2530) that poke through the back face of the center console (about 4cm from floor level).
Those LEDs have their heatsinks bolted to a small aluminum sheet for heat dissipation.

All of the LEDs are controlled by a small RF controller - easily obtained from many sources (http://ledmontreal.com/en/led-connectors-and-accessories-led-montreal/10-key-rf-remote-control-for-rgb-led-strips.html)

I have added pictures for some items you might find handy for building your project.

Edit - couldn't add the attachments after saving the post. Thought edit mode would allow - but apparently not.

RF Remote.png

Splitter.png

Quick_Connector.png

LED_wire..png

Connector.png