• Welcome to the Ford Fusion Forum

To enjoy the Ford Fusion Forum's content, please click here to create an account.

• Custom Search

Sign in to follow this  
juice

Shuddering / Vibration @ 40 MPH

Well, thats not the case for the fusion. The 6f35/ 6f50 was engineered in cooperation with GM beleive it or not. They just tweeked it in their own ways. Actually thats how most manufacturers do it today to save on engineering/development costs. The only trannys that are exclusive to ford are for their trucks. As for the hybrid, its sad to say that, yes, theres a little toyota DNA in your fusion.

It's not a Toyota part. The CVT is made by Aisin, owned IN PART by Toyota.

It's not a Toyota part. The CVT is made by Aisin, owned IN PART by Toyota.

Isn't that what I pretty much said ( in cooperation with toyota ) That means its at least half toyota........Ford just tweeked it better for the fusion to get 41 mpg/city......

Isn't that what I pretty much said ( in cooperation with toyota ) That means its at least half toyota........Ford just tweeked it better for the fusion to get 41 mpg/city......

Aisin being partially owned by Toyota doesn't mean their parts have "toyota" DNA.

The Fusion's better mileage came from the battery and control systems, not the CVT.

Aisin being partially owned by Toyota doesn't mean their parts have "toyota" DNA.

The Fusion's better mileage came from the battery and control systems, not the CVT.

Parts???......Toyota & Ford engineered it, so yes, it has both ford & toyota PARTS on it....So to clerify myself, the CVT has BOTH FORD & TOYOTA DNA.....Whether we like it or not..........Don't be in denial, I hate even mentioning that ford & toyota are in bed with each other on the CVT. It's just part of doing business in a GLOBAL economy these days.....I have the 6F50 made in coop with GM...... I HATE GM.....(GOVERNMENT MOTORS)......

Getting back to my problem I'm having with vibration @ 40 mph, I talked to the service manager today. He said he felt something but thought it was a tire.........so here we go....

DING, DING....ROUND 1.... he wasn't listening to me when I explained to him that the problem stopped when I put it in neutral......went for a drive........& yes he said, "Oh, that can't be tires"......... Anybody else have the feeling that you know more about your car than they do?!?!?!?!?!?!

Now tomorrow will be day 3 but I've been a good customer in the last decade so they gave me a demo ( ford 500 with CVT ).......NICE CAR....LOVE THE CVT

He did mention that in his 30 years experience that usually shuddering/vibration @ 40mph points to torque converter / stator......We'll see.....

Edited by juice

Torque converter shudder maybe? It's about the right speed...

NO NEWS YET ON MY PROBLEM....STILL TRYING TO FIND THE PROBLEM.....MOST MECHANICS I TALKED TO SAID TORQUE CONVERTER / STATOR......STILL NO WORD FROM FORD...

Parts???......Toyota & Ford engineered it, so yes, it has both ford & toyota PARTS on it....So to clerify myself, the CVT has BOTH FORD & TOYOTA DNA.....Whether we like it or not..........Don't be in denial, I hate even mentioning that ford & toyota are in bed with each other on the CVT. It's just part of doing business in a GLOBAL economy these days.....I have the 6F50 made in coop with GM...... I HATE GM.....(GOVERNMENT MOTORS)......

Getting back to my problem I'm having with vibration @ 40 mph, I talked to the service manager today. He said he felt something but thought it was a tire.........so here we go....

DING, DING....ROUND 1.... he wasn't listening to me when I explained to him that the problem stopped when I put it in neutral......went for a drive........& yes he said, "Oh, that can't be tires"......... Anybody else have the feeling that you know more about your car than they do?!?!?!?!?!?!

Now tomorrow will be day 3 but I've been a good customer in the last decade so they gave me a demo ( ford 500 with CVT ).......NICE CAR....LOVE THE CVT

He did mention that in his 30 years experience that usually shuddering/vibration @ 40mph points to torque converter / stator......We'll see.....

FYI....Toyota is having issues with Camry transmissions on the Camry forums. Aisin transmissions. And Ford/GM are in joint venture on the automatic. They use different gear ratios and programming. Interesting that my daughter and son-in-law with a 2009 I-4 Malibu with the 6 speed auto have had no problems. I'm hopeful I won't have any issues with my 6 speed manual--which is a Mazda6 unit with a taller final drive ratio.

Please keep the info coming on the progress of your repair.

FYI....Toyota is having issues with Camry transmissions on the Camry forums. Aisin transmissions. And Ford/GM are in joint venture on the automatic. They use different gear ratios and programming. Interesting that my daughter and son-in-law with a 2009 I-4 Malibu with the 6 speed auto have had no problems. I'm hopeful I won't have any issues with my 6 speed manual--which is a Mazda6 unit with a taller final drive ratio.

Please keep the info coming on the progress of your repair.

Got my car back...Coolant was steaming out on a hose clamp....Fixed......Shudder....Not fixed......Have to bring it in again as soon as I feel it again...I might have to do my own research on this one.....The shudder isn't horribly bad so I guess I can live with it....maybe just don't go 40 mph!!! I'll go 35 or 45...no in betweens!!!! Yeah right....I'd say I'm going to listen to all the mechanics I know & talked to that the problem lies in the torque converter...maybe its just not balanced correctly...It looks like I'll be visiting my ford dealer more often than I wanted to...

If anybody out there has this problem, whether its a S, SE, SEL, Sport, AWD or not....( I know they're different tranny-drivelines, but you never know )

AGAIN, The main thing I keep running thru my head is that the shudder stops when I put the trans in neutral....

So the dealer just threw up their hands and gave up? Keep taking it back (And perhaps it's time to try another dealer) and look into the lemon laws. Get a lawyer.

Edited by xmech2k

So the dealer just threw up their hands and gave up? Keep taking it back (And perhaps it's time to try another dealer) and look into the lemon laws. Get a lawyer.

The service manager felt the shudder when he was in the car with me, but he could not get it to do it with the technician so they could pinpoint the problem....This is an intermittent problem I am having but it happens at least twice a week...I'm going to take it in to the dealer again but probably not until late fall.....I live in PA so I want to enjoy my summer with my new car as long as I can....As long as the problem don't get worse by then, I'll be cruisin' thru the summer...No way is the dealer going to give me a Focus ALL SUMMER for whoever knows how long it will take them to figure it out.

OTHER THAN THAT......THIS CAR IS GREAT!!!!!!!!!!! :shift::headspin:

Edited by juice

Wow. If they couldn't fix that all summer, I wouldn't trust their mechanics with a tricycle!!!!! :baby:

Keep driving it like that and you'll be stuck with it. Get them to take care of it or get the lawyer in gear! :rant:

The service manager felt the shudder when he was in the car with me, but he could not get it to do it with the technician so they could pinpoint the problem....This is an intermittent problem I am having but it happens at least twice a week...I'm going to take it in to the dealer again but probably not until late fall.....I live in PA so I want to enjoy my summer with my new car as long as I can....As long as the problem don't get worse by then, I'll be cruisin' thru the summer...No way is the dealer going to give me a Focus ALL SUMMER for whoever knows how long it will take them to figure it out.

OTHER THAN THAT......THIS CAR IS GREAT!!!!!!!!!!! :shift::headspin:

Juice,

Did they check the mounts for the engine and transmission to make sure they were tight?

Reason I ask is I was YouTube trolling and stumbled on some funky videos of a Fusion and Escape where the engine was "shuddering" in the engine bay when they gave it some gas. There was some indication that the videos may have been staged by loosening the engine or transmission mounts but...

It reminded me of your problem.

Wow. If they couldn't fix that all summer, I wouldn't trust their mechanics with a tricycle!!!!! :baby:

Keep driving it like that and you'll be stuck with it. Get them to take care of it or get the lawyer in gear! :rant:

My visit to the dealer is on paper with it stating that the service manager felt the shudder but not being able to duplicate it to pinpoint the issue.......This is only the first time I brought it back so a lawyer is two trips too soon......As for now, if something goes wrong its all on them, not going to be stuck with anything here.... It only has 4500 miles on it......My way of thinking is why waste my time bringing the car back when they can't duplicate it. Maybe it will get worse in time so they can at least diagnose it..........

Edited by juice

Juice,

Did they check the mounts for the engine and transmission to make sure they were tight?

Reason I ask is I was YouTube trolling and stumbled on some funky videos of a Fusion and Escape where the engine was "shuddering" in the engine bay when they gave it some gas. There was some indication that the videos may have been staged by loosening the engine or transmission mounts but...

It reminded me of your problem.

Con_Fusion......Funny how my friend ( GM guy ) is now calling my car the ford confusion because of my problem....He says its confused on whether to be a good car or bad car..... :rant:

Motor mounts??? Didn't even think to check but I will now...Thanks.... :idea:

Juice Said,

Quote:

"I baby it until it has 5000 miles on it.( Thats just my personal break-in period ). Never reached past 4000 rpm yet. Can't wait to throttle down."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The 30 V6 Duratec was made to rev. My dealer said I should drive it from day one " as if I had stole the car." If your keeping it always

below 4K rpms then the tranny module is learning an abnormal shift pattern. I have run a lot of 0 to 60/70 mph floor boards from day one

and my 2010 V6 is smoother then any of my former Fords. The one thing I don't like is the 6th to 5th gear down shift at about 42 mph is noticeable and has a stronger deceleration than any automatic I've had in the past.....it may even be noticed a slight "shutter".

But that is the nature of the new 6 gear tranny. BTW...the tranny is built in Detroit.

Juice Said,

Quote:

"I baby it until it has 5000 miles on it.( Thats just my personal break-in period ). Never reached past 4000 rpm yet. Can't wait to throttle down."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The 30 V6 Duratec was made to rev. My dealer said I should drive it from day one " as if I had stole the car." If your keeping it always

below 4K rpms then the tranny module is learning an abnormal shift pattern. I have run a lot of 0 to 60/70 mph floor boards from day one

and my 2010 V6 is smoother then any of my former Fords. The one thing I don't like is the 6th to 5th gear down shift at about 42 mph is noticeable and has a stronger deceleration than any automatic I've had in the past.....it may even be noticed a slight "shutter".

But that is the nature of the new 6 gear tranny. BTW...the tranny is built in Detroit.

When a new car comes off the line the first thing they do to test it is WOT.

I broke even on the deal with my new one. i wasn't going to get another one if it hurt me. I guess the $4500 in rebates & 0% ( good credit ) helped me out. i don't have money to throw around ( I wish, then I would've bought a Sport ). I actually had buyer's remorse anyway on the 4 cyl. I'm more of a V6 guy.

As for my problem, It vibrates all over with no noise associated @ 40MPH. It goes away gradually until I hit 50MPH. The tachometer reads between 1600 - 1800. It's not a poor shift, its steady in 5th gear. Shifts are smooth as silk. Tires were checked, balanced & rotated already with only 3300 miles on it. Slim that it may be to get 2 cars with the same problem, I guess thats just my luck right now. I'm the only one that drives my car & when I buy a new car, I baby it until it has 5000 miles on it.( Thats just my personal break-in period ). Never reached past 4000 rpm yet. Can't wait to throttle down. The 3.0 has some punch to her & love the slight growl. The shudder / vibration comes & goes, hot & cold, light to medium throttle. So you can see why I cannot pinpoint the problem. it would be nice to give the dealer a better clue before they tear my new car apart. I'll keep you updated if I find something out. I'm a diehard FORD FAN & still love my Fusion. CHICK MAGNET!!!!!!

This sounds kinda similiar to a problem I am having also...its not a harsh shudder, but you can definitely feel it. I just had my vehicle checked today and they were unable to replicate the issue at 70 kmh (42mph). I also have this shudder at 115 kmh (69mph). They re-flashed my tranny , and I will be trying it tomorrow to see if anything has changed. Will let you all know it mine worsens!

jfo    0

Any update on this? We just bought a 2010 ff hybrid tonite and it has the slighest shimmy at 40mph (goes away above 40). our shimmy is so slight...felt more it seems in the front passenger seat. This thread has me worried big. thanks

Any update on this? We just bought a 2010 ff hybrid tonite and it has the slighest shimmy at 40mph (goes away above 40). our shimmy is so slight...felt more it seems in the front passenger seat. This thread has me worried big. thanks

It's doubtful that the problems described in this thread are related to your FFH. The hybrid uses a completely different type of transmission from those used in gasoline-only Fusions.

A shimmy is usually felt as high frequency oscillations in the steering wheel. You described it as being felt more in the passenger's front seat. Are you sure you don't mean a vibration or shudder? It might seem like nit-picking but if you take the car in for service, which you should), correct terminology is important. You should ask for a tech to go for a ride with you and verify your concern.

jfo    0

actually, when we first drovet he car it was felt in all front seats within a very narrow range...40-45 mph. the initial test drive was around 5 miles and because of the concern a second test drive was taken before we bought the car. there was around an hour between drives. on the second drive, the shudder was only felt in the pax seat. the driver could not feel it. we bought the car and drove it around 50 miles home, then around 200 miles around after which time no-one is able to detect any shudder even if we really focus on trying to re-create it. Today, with 450 miles now on the car we went back to the dealer for some administrative items and asked around the lot about whether the car had been sitting in one spot for a long time before we drove it. While not certain, the consensus was that the car may have been in one spot (not moved) for up to three weeks proir to our drive....this may/may not be relevant. Also, the tires are nitrogen filled which may/may not be relevant....anyway, we learned all about the extended warranties on the trans, torque converters and etc....and we feel really good in a really nice car. If we were to have problems come back, we can buy an extended warranty up to 30k miles...we chose not to buy it for now. By the way, we traded in a prius we purchased new that had 185,000 miles on it....to us its like the 06 prius was sort of the first edition....the new camry's we drove were still on that technology where the fusion is second-gen with all the integration etc....we're very happy campers tonite. thx for the response.

UPDATE>>>>

I am still feeling the shudder & I still cannot get the dealer(s) to figure out the problem. This shudder or vibratration that I feel is NOT from down shifting from 6th to 5th gear that everybody feels when slowing down from 50 to 35. This shudder is very slight, almost feeling sometimes that the engine is missing but no codes or dummie lights on.....I am still convinced that the Torque converter is the problem but will not get the mechanics to agree that the TC is the problem. I am concerned about this problem but does not seem to affect driveability...... Its not getting worse but its not getting better either. Cruising with light throttle above 35 mph,the car starts to shudder/vibrate but when I put it in neutral, it goes away instantly!!! That tells me it a trans/engine problem... Both me & all the dealers I've worked with are puzzled & DON'T FORGET,I owned another 2010 Fusion but with the 4 cyl with the same problem......The two engines have the same 6F35 tranny with the same Torque Converter. But I will say that the Hybrid Owner got me puzzled even more if its the same problem I'm having. But even with this SHUDDER / VIBRATION, This car is the best!!!! The transmission has always shifted smooth with no problems & the engine has never hesitated once. The problem only exists under light throttle, cruising......

Edited by juice

jfo    0

almost 4000 miles now, shudder has not come back. I'm pretty sure what we had the first few days was a tire that had settled when the car sat on the lot for a long time. great car. 40mpg although the cold does hurt the mileage some.

After reading this post it is good to hear that I am not the only one experiencing the passenger seat vibration. My 2010 Fusion was built the early part of 2010 (March or April) and since new (100 miles) the passenger seat has vibrated at speed (above 30 mph). It can be seen primary in the passenger seat head and back rest. Unsure if this is some type of sympathetic or related to suspension design. During the time the dealer was troubleshooting the passenger seat air bag light/sensor, they replaced/re-tightened the seat mounting bracket without resolution. So far, there is not a TSB on the 2010 ford fusion for this issue. A Google search indicates a forum entry on http://www.fordfusionclub.com/index.php?topic=167429.0

UPDATE>>>>

I am still feeling the shudder & I still cannot get the dealer(s) to figure out the problem. This shudder or vibratration that I feel is NOT from down shifting from 6th to 5th gear that everybody feels when slowing down from 50 to 35. This shudder is very slight, almost feeling sometimes that the engine is missing but no codes or dummie lights on.....

I completely agree. I have the same issue when under light acceleration 35-45MPH

I am still convinced that the Torque converter is the problem but will not get the mechanics to agree that the TC is the problem. I am concerned about this problem but does not seem to affect driveability...... Its not getting worse but its not getting better either.

I have a 2010 SE I-4 and it is pretty consistent in that it will not resolve itself unless i put it under heavy (er) acceleration.

Cruising with light throttle above 35 mph,the car starts to shudder/vibrate but when I put it in neutral, it goes away instantly!!! That tells me it a trans/engine problem...

I'll test this and let you know if neutral solves it for me as well.

Both me & all the dealers I've worked with are puzzled & DON'T FORGET,I owned another 2010 Fusion but with the 4 cyl with the same problem......The two engines have the same 6F35 tranny with the same Torque Converter. But I will say that the Hybrid Owner got me puzzled even more if its the same problem I'm having. But even with this SHUDDER / VIBRATION, This car is the best!!!! The transmission has always shifted smooth with no problems & the engine has never hesitated once. The problem only exists under light throttle, cruising......

For me there have been a few pretty rough shifts, even though I am not a "hard" driver. I love my Fusion. Comfortable. Roomy. Great on Gas. Looks Hot. Everything I want except for the vibrations!

I have a 2015 that bucks at 48kmh and 70 kmh

And when it coasts. Around 48-50 kmh.

Also has anyone noticed when the torque converter locks up in 3rd it's kind of like riding a clutch?

Posted (edited)

Has anyone ever figured out what this problem is?

I'm taking mine in this week.

I almost would describe it as fish tugging on a line

Edited by Darren139