Custom Search

Welcome to the Ford Fusion Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the Ford Fusion Forum

Like most online communities, you must register to create a topic, reply to a topic, post photos and more. Registration is free, simple and takes only a few minutes. 

By becoming a member, you'll be able to:

• Choose your own social group icon
• Start new topics and reply to posts
• Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
• Create your own profile page and make new friends
• Send personal messages to other members
• Create a photo album and upload your own photos. . more!

Choose your Ford Fusion Social Group!

Posted Image

Click here to register now

Guest Message by DevFuse

The new Ford Fusion Sport Forum is here.

Photo
- - - - -

2010 GPS not responding to touch

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   lthodde116

lthodde116

• Fusion Member
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Current Vehicle:2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid

Posted 05 December 2011 - 02:57 PM

About two months go I got into my 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid and went to put in an address into my GPS.
It wasn't responding to touch at all, so I turned the car off and turned it back on hoping that would work.
Again, it didn't work. I can still use my GPS as long as I use the voice recognition system, but you probably
know how annoying it is sometimes, since it doesn't always hear you correctly. Anyway, I took it to the dealership
and they said they can't do anything because nothing shows up as being broken when they looked at it. They can
clearly see it isn't working, but basically told me that they can't do anything until it is completely broken!

Well, I don't want to wait until it's completely broken because with my luck, by then my warranty will be out.
Has anyone had any issues like this with their navigation system? How did you fix it?

I want to take it somewhere else but have no idea where I should bring it or if I even can.

Sometimes the touch screen on it works but only whenever it feels like working. And even then, it usually only works for about 10 minutes.

It also acts on its own sometimes. The other day I was driving it, not touching the GPS at all, and it randomly switched itself to the climate settings.
Then a minute later switched back to audio.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   FusionDiffusion

FusionDiffusion

Fusion Forum Enthusiast

• Fusion Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,123 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • My Fusion:2010
  • Current Vehicle:2010 Fusion Sport FWD
  • Social Group: myfusion

Posted 05 December 2011 - 03:05 PM

If the touch screen isn't working, then the radio is "broken" and should have been repaired. What a lazy dealer. If you cant gent them to fix it, then take the car to another dealer.

#3 OFFLINE   lthodde116

lthodde116

• Fusion Member
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 03:11 PM

I'm taking it to another dealership tomorrow but I'm looking for other ways to fix it incase they happen to be a let down as well.

I've had nothing but problems with Maroone. I feel like they're just making me wait until my warranty ends so that I have to pay -__-

#4 OFFLINE   bbf2530

bbf2530

Fusion Forum Member

• 1,989 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 05:55 PM

I'm taking it to another dealership tomorrow but I'm looking for other ways to fix it incase they happen to be a let down as well.

I've had nothing but problems with Maroone. I feel like they're just making me wait until my warranty ends so that I have to pay -__-

Hi lthodde. :D As FusionDiffusion stated, if the touchscreen does not work, then it is broken. You now state in your other thread that you are over 36,000 miles, so the Bumper to Bumper Warranty is expired but you have an extended Warranty. If your extended warranty covers broken electronics and broken door handles/locks, then they have to fix it. If not, then the Dealer is correct and it is not covered. As mentioned in the other thread, you will need to take out your Extended Warranty contract and read it to see what it covers. If you have a Genuine Ford ESP Plan the Dealer may be telling the truth if you have the BaseCare (essentially only covers the powertrain) or ExtraCare (the mid-coverage Plan which covers more), since they do not/may not cover things like electronics and door handles (off the top of my head, I am not sure of precise coverages) . If you have the upper level Ford ESP extended Warranty (e.g. Ford ESP PremiumCare), these things would be covered and there is no reason for them to turn down a paying job if the Warranty covered it. Then again, if you have a third party extended warranty, it can be a crap-shoot, since many of them are virtually worthless.

So as mentioned, you and your husband need to take out your Extended Warranty contract and see what plan you contracted for,, with who and what your coverages are. Once you do that, then we can help you.

It is a simple repair (if it is the door handle/door lock button). Therefore, if your car is not Warranty covered and you don't want to have the Dealership perform the repair, then any shop that knows how to take off a door panel (virtually any competent shop in the country) can do the repair. And any shop can get any part from Ford. So if Advance Auto told you they don't stock the part, that essentially means they did not want to do the job.

If you give us more information, we can probably offer better suggestions.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530, 06 December 2011 - 12:47 AM.

#5 OFFLINE   lthodde116

lthodde116

• Fusion Member
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 03:17 AM

Hi lthodde. :D As FusionDiffusion stated, if the touchscreen does not work, then it is broken. You now state in your other thread that you are over 36,000 miles, so the Bumper to Bumper Warranty is expired but you have an extended Warranty. If your extended warranty covers broken electronics and broken door handles/locks, then they have to fix it. If not, then the Dealer is correct and it is not covered. As mentioned in the other thread, you will need to take out your Extended Warranty contract and read it to see what it covers. If you have a Genuine Ford ESP Plan the Dealer may be telling the truth if you have the BaseCare (essentially only covers the powertrain) or ExtraCare (the mid-coverage Plan which covers more), since they do not/may not cover things like electronics and door handles (off the top of my head, I am not sure of precise coverages) . If you have the upper level Ford ESP extended Warranty (e.g. Ford ESP PremiumCare), these things would be covered and there is no reason for them to turn down a paying job if the Warranty covered it. Then again, if you have a third party extended warranty, it can be a crap-shoot, since many of them are virtually worthless.

So as mentioned, you and your husband need to take out your Extended Warranty contract and see what plan you contracted for,, with who and what your coverages are. Once you do that, then we can help you.

It is a simple repair (if it is the door handle/door lock button). Therefore, if your car is not Warranty covered and you don't want to have the Dealership perform the repair, then any shop that knows how to take off a door panel (virtually any competent shop in the country) can do the repair. And any shop can get any part from Ford. So if Advance Auto told you they don't stock the part, that essentially means they did not want to do the job.

If you give us more information, we can probably offer better suggestions.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Sorry for the extremely late response, I forgot I posted on this forum.

Anyway, thank you. I guess I'll end up having to take it to an auto shop nearby to have them try to fix the door, I wanted to try to do it myself to cut down costs but seems like that's not really an option.

About the touchscreen however, this I really want to get fixed asap as it's starting to get very irritating not being able to use my GPS as easily (it effects the voice commands as well as the actual screen). I've already brought my car to a few different Ford dealerships in my area and they all said that nothing is showing up on their system thing that tells them what's wrong, therefore they cannot fix it until it is completely broken (I guess that means when the screen won't work at all).

I'm worried that my warrenty won't cover the costs then, so is there any other way I can fix this myself instead of the dealership?
I'm pretty sure most auto shops won't be able to fix this =/

#6 OFFLINE   abmicro

abmicro

New Fusion Member

• Fusion Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 05:44 PM

I have exactly same problem on my 2010 Ford Fusion microsoft synch. Touch screen not responding most of the time. Reboot helps sometimes, but most of the time touch screen does not work. In addition, sometimes screen moves to a new screen I did not touch, or pointer on map starts moving without touching it. Manual buttons on console work most of the time and voice commands work most of the time. Anybody know how much the repair bill for this is?

#7 OFFLINE   abmicro

abmicro

New Fusion Member

• Fusion Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 03:36 PM

Posting additional follow-up to problem.

I have a 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid. About 3 months ago, system started getting sluggish, then screen started freezing. While frozen, I had no response to console buttons or voice commad button. After 5 minutes or so, it would unfreeze, then all console buttons would work, voice commands, but no touch screen commands at all. Rarely, touch screen would appear to work but after pressing the screen, the curser would move by itself and not stop. By the time the curser reached mexico, I could rub the screen and it would stop. I could press the console button or a voice command and the screen would redisplay my original position again.

Bottom line, after unit warmed up in 5 minutes, I continued to have NO TOUCH SCREEN response.

Took it to Chino Hills Ford, they tried a new synch box, but I learned they did a copy of my old synch hard drive to my new synch drive, and it behaved exactly the same way when done. Still had exactly the same problem. Noted that everything behaved exactly the same, even my old POI addresses were still there, all my previous destinations, some photos, my saved voice profile, everything was still there like they did not touch it. I negotiated pulling our new synch and putting back my old synch. Left Ford with the same problem I came in with, same working voice commands, same console buttons, radio, and GPS via voice commands.

I asked why they copied my old data from my old synch. Answer was that the box comes unprogrammed and empty and they are unable to load it with out my old device. This answer does not make sense. If I pay money for a new computer, I expect new factory supplied data. What if the data in my synch is corrupted?

Appreciate any reply from anybody with similar problem and what you did to fix. My logical thinking says perhaps my touch screen went bad. Dont know.

#8 OFFLINE   Waldo

Waldo

Fusion Forum Member

• Fusion Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:33 AM

Posting additional follow-up to problem.

I have a 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid. About 3 months ago, system started getting sluggish, then screen started freezing. While frozen, I had no response to console buttons or voice commad button. After 5 minutes or so, it would unfreeze, then all console buttons would work, voice commands, but no touch screen commands at all. Rarely, touch screen would appear to work but after pressing the screen, the curser would move by itself and not stop. By the time the curser reached mexico, I could rub the screen and it would stop. I could press the console button or a voice command and the screen would redisplay my original position again.

Bottom line, after unit warmed up in 5 minutes, I continued to have NO TOUCH SCREEN response.

Took it to Chino Hills Ford, they tried a new synch box, but I learned they did a copy of my old synch hard drive to my new synch drive, and it behaved exactly the same way when done. Still had exactly the same problem. Noted that everything behaved exactly the same, even my old POI addresses were still there, all my previous destinations, some photos, my saved voice profile, everything was still there like they did not touch it. I negotiated pulling our new synch and putting back my old synch. Left Ford with the same problem I came in with, same working voice commands, same console buttons, radio, and GPS via voice commands.

I asked why they copied my old data from my old synch. Answer was that the box comes unprogrammed and empty and they are unable to load it with out my old device. This answer does not make sense. If I pay money for a new computer, I expect new factory supplied data. What if the data in my synch is corrupted?

Appreciate any reply from anybody with similar problem and what you did to fix. My logical thinking says perhaps my touch screen went bad. Dont know.

The hard drive is not part of sync.  The sync box is a module that controls just the USB and bluetooth commands.  The hard disc is part of the Nav system which includes the touch screen.  So what "box" did they replace?  Normal procedure when replacing any module in the car is to re-program it with the "as-built" data.  These include just the specific variables that are programmed at the factory to your vehicle configuration.  So when they copy the data from the old hard drive to the new one, they are just transferring that variable data, not the underlying software that runs the system.

I agree with you that it sounds like a bad touch screen.  But if they changed your hard disc, then it means they changed your touchscreen too.  Sounds to me like they actually changed the sync module and not your hard disc. Get them to give you a new touchscreen/hard disc module.

#9 OFFLINE   abmicro

abmicro

New Fusion Member

• Fusion Member
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 October 2016 - 12:47 PM

I still live with no touchscreen. I use my voice commands to go to an address with my GPS. Dont think is it worth putting money for an older car.

Custom Search

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·