• Welcome to the Ford Fusion Forum

To enjoy the Ford Fusion Forum's content, please click here to create an account.

• Custom Search

Sign in to follow this  
con_fusion

Wheel stud recall 2010/2011 model year

This problem was mentioned in another thread but news today about a recall:

WSJ article

Says:

"recalling certain Ford Fusion and Mercury Milan mid-size sedans from the 2010 and 2011 model year..."

"vehicles included in the recall were equipped with 17-inch steel wheels and built from April 1, 2009, through April 30, 2009, and from Dec. 1, 2009, through Nov. 13, 2010. The wheel studs on these cars may fracture,"

Note that this is due to an issue between the steel wheel and the brake hub, and ONLY affects cars with 17" STEEL wheels built from April 1, 2009 through April 30, 2009 and from Dec. 1, 2009 through Nov. 13, 2010.

"Ford is conducting a voluntary safety recall 11S23 involving certain 2010 and 2011 model year Ford Fusion and Mercury Milan vehicles originally equipped with 17 inch steel wheels and built from April 1, 2009, through April 30, 2009, and from December 1, 2009, through November 13, 2010, to address the potential for wheel separation. Vehicles equipped with alloy wheels are not affected."

It seems curvature in the wheel/brake mounting surfaces is causing bending fatigue in the studs, which will eventually cause them to crack and break off. The wheel might come off if enough studs break. This has happened to five people so far.

Apparently Ford first learned of this problem and opened an investigation in August 2010 at the factory when wheel studs were breaking off as they first put the wheels on and tightened the lug nuts. The recall involves inspecting all the wheel studs, checking the flatness of the rear disk wheel mounting surfaces, and replacing all 20 lug nuts with a newer design.

I've attached the relevant documents (via NHTSA) that the dealers will be receiving so that you can be more informed:

Letter to dealers regarding recall and claim information

Recall inspection and repair procedure

This information was sent to dealers on Dec 6, but please be aware that owner notification will not begin until the week of January 24, 2012. Dealers probably will not have the required parts until early January, so I would wait until then to contact your dealer and schedule a repair.

In the meantime, if you notice any vibration or looseness while driving, pull over immediately.

thats quite interesting. but if your car came with alloy wheels its fine? what about if you plan to buy a set of factory steel wheels for winter tire use? that could be an issue right there...

i will have to look into this further.

thats quite interesting. but if your car came with alloy wheels its fine? what about if you plan to buy a set of factory steel wheels for winter tire use? that could be an issue right there...

i will have to look into this further.

Hi Goneracin. :D It is an issue with the design/manufacture of the mounting surface of the 17" steel wheels/brake discs. If a Fusion or Milan produced during the recalled dates came factory equipped with aluminum wheels, it is not affected at all.

Since there is an issue with the "factory" equipped 17" steel wheels and really no way for the average buyer to know when the wheels were produced or if they are defective, it would generally just be easier/safer to stay away from purchasing "factory" 17" steel wheels.

Not a large issue, since any affected wheels in parts inventory would also be recalled, they would be expensive to purchase from a Dealer anyway and better/less expensive options are available from other wheel/tire retailers (The Tire Rack etc.). So that leaves buyers of used factory wheels. Therefore, anyone looking for factory 17" steel wheels should stay away from buying used unless they can be 100% sure they are not in the affected batch.

Hope this information helps.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

Yes, additional or replacement 17" steel wheels sold at Ford dealers are part of the recall.

"Any vehicles serviced by your dealership between April 15, 2010 and November 13, 2010 with steel wheel part number AE5Z-1015-A." There were an estimated 2,940 wheels distributed to dealers that fall under the recall.

so does that mean only that part number is the bad steel wheels?

the only reason i wanted to go with those wheels is because they are a nice 5 spoke design, and i think with a little powder coat they wouldnt be bad looking. but most importantly, steel wheels will flex a little if you slip off the road in the winter. so maybe you can still limp the car home. that is the real reason i was asking about those particular wheels.

BTW, i asked the dealer about the recall last night, and they just had gotten the letter a few days ago. (as stated before) they said if the vehicle is an affected vehicle then they will be changing studs and lug nuts too. nothing about changing the rims. if thats the case it makes me think i could change the studs and be safe with any of the steel wheels. :shrug:

so does that mean only that part number is the bad steel wheels?

the only reason i wanted to go with those wheels is because they are a nice 5 spoke design, and i think with a little powder coat they wouldnt be bad looking. but most importantly, steel wheels will flex a little if you slip off the road in the winter. so maybe you can still limp the car home. that is the real reason i was asking about those particular wheels.

BTW, i asked the dealer about the recall last night, and they just had gotten the letter a few days ago. (as stated before) they said if the vehicle is an affected vehicle then they will be changing studs and lug nuts too. nothing about changing the rims. if thats the case it makes me think i could change the studs and be safe with any of the steel wheels. :shrug:

Hi Goneracin. :D If you go to this NHTSA recall website - LINK - Recalls and scroll a little less than halfway down, you will find an explanation of the recall.

According to the information contained there, it would seem you may be correct that the wheels are not being replaced. The remedy is listed as: replacing the lugs and inspecting the brake dis surface for flatness and replacing if necessary. Mentions nothing about replacing the wheels

Here is the "remedy" text, copied and pasted - "Remedy: FORD WILL NOTIFY OWNERS, AND DEALERS WILL INSPECT THE REAR BRAKE DISC SURFACE FOR FLATNESS AND REPLACE THE DISCS AS NECESSARY. ADDITIONALLY, THE WHEEL LUG NUTS WILL BE REPLACED ON ALL FOUR WHEELS. THE SAFETY RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN ON OR ABOUT JANUARY 24, 2012. OWNERS MAY CONTACT THE FORD MOTOR COMPANY CUSTOMER RELATIONSHIP CENTER AT 1-866-436-7332."

Concerning whether you can safely use factory steel wheels which may have been involved in the recall without worrying about lug nut issues? I can not answer that one definitively. Since the inspection and possible replacement of brake discs is also involved, replacing your lugs may not be enough. While I would not take the chance, your best course of action may be to call the Ford Customer Relationship Center and inquire there. Of course, the first customer support reps you get on the phone will probably not be able to give an answer, so ask that they have someone from the technical support staff either speak to you directly or get back to you. The number is listed above.

Let s know how you make out.

Good luck. :beerchug

yea, good point. i was really hoping to get oem wheels so i didnt have to worry about all the possible problems with aftermarket. oh well, looks like more investigating is required.

It's happened again I'm @ 142,525Mi.

So far 5 wheel studs have broken 2 prior to recall, 3 after recall.

Keep  your eyes AND ears open, typical scenario:

You will not see anything debris, etc...... on the road but you will hear a hard hit of something on the underside of the car...... like a rock however in this case, lug nuts....... :(

Fred