• Welcome to the Ford Fusion Forum

To enjoy the Ford Fusion Forum's content, please click here to create an account.

• Custom Search

Sign in to follow this  
fsclaol

2010 / 2011 Steel Wheel Owners ! Inventory Lug Nuts

During routine oil change and tire rotation this past weekend found 2 lug nuts missing on front driver's side wheel.

Keep an eye on the fasteners.

Good luck.

Fred

Did the studs break off as per the recall? If they weren't broken, tightening new nuts on weakened studs might cause a failure. You need to inspect all the wheel studs immediately if you haven't had the recall performed.

During routine oil change and tire rotation this past weekend found 2 lug nuts missing on front driver's side wheel.

Keep an eye on the fasteners.

Good luck.

Fred

Did you have your oil change/tire rotation done at an independent garage/chain quicky-lube place or at the the dealer? Either way, I'm very surprised that nothing was mentioned to you before you left. With previous vehicles, I've occasionally noticed a different nut on a wheel that I didn't enter with, but never with it flat-out missing. If you did have it done at the dealer, I'd strongly consider finding a new servicing dealer, as they should have known better (especially with the impending recall).

I performed my own oil change, it's a lease, however, I really like my 2010 6 Spd manual (had a 2007 5 Spd manual) and upgraded to Mobil 1 Synthetic oil. After I finished the oil change proceeded to do the tires and was flabberghasted to see 2 lugnuts missing, studs FRACTURED off. I performed the 1st oil change and tire rotation too, and secured the wheels to the specified 100 Ft-Lbs with my torque wrench.

Here's a link to the recall in the NY Times:

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/12/09/ford-recalls-129000-fusions-and-mercury-milans-after-studs-fracture-on-steel-wheels/?scp=1&sq=ford%20fusion%20recall&st=cse

I chose this link as it seems to reflect my experience. Some links reported rear wheels and some kind of backing / mounting plate causation for the bolts to break. In my case, it was the front driver's side wheel.

Personally, I believe it is a bad run of studs.

I do have the mag style steel wheels (5 spoke / spider deep offset) not like the circle cutout steel wheels on the 2007.

So if you fit the criteria, make sure to do a thorough walk around, inventory of the lugnuts. I understand the recall will begin in January with notification of the effected vehicles. I guess you can say I beat the rush.....and just counting my lucky stars.

My Fusion is at the dealers awaiting repair.

Fred

My Fusion is back from the dealer. As an engineer tried to find out what tests were done to remaining studs to insure their integrity. Impact test?, dimensional checks?, LP? and / or Ultrasound?, but the service writer was mum and could not get to the tech to speak to him.

One thing for sure and confirmed, the removed / fractured parts were sent to the Ford "top secret" lab for analysis.

Since I never completed the tire rotation on the drivers side, I proceeded to complete my service. With both driver's side wheels off it seemed like all of the studs from the front drivers side wheel were replaced. They seemed to have a green stain / color (dye penetrant? I'm guessing) on them. The rear wheel studs seemed intact, with no physical evidence of testing.

Anyway, hope it all holds together. For now, I'll be walking around the car for visual check of lugnuts before every drive.

Fred

Edited by fsclaol

My Fusion is back from the dealer. As an engineer tried to find out what tests were done to remaining studs to insure their integrity. Impact test?, dimensional checks?, LP? and / or Ultrasound?, but the service writer was mum and could not get to the tech to speak to him.

One thing for sure and confirmed, the removed / fractured parts were sent to the Ford "top secret" lab for analysis.

Since I never completed the tire rotation on the drivers side, I proceeded to complete my service. With both driver's side wheels off it seemed like all of the studs from the front drivers side wheel were replaced. They seemed to have a green stain / color (dye penetrant? I'm guessing) on them. The rear wheel studs seemed intact, with no physical evidence of testing.

Anyway, hope it all holds together. For now, I'll be walking around the car for visual check of lugnuts before every drive.

Fred

EDITED for accuracy since I misread the recall notice (lugs vs. lugnuts)

Hi Fred. :D Just as an FYI: As part of the recall, all 20 lugs/studs lug nuts on cars affected by the recall will be replaced. Therefore, if a Fusion/Milan which was factory equipped with steel wheels has a build date corresponding to the two specific recall time periods is presented for service, all 20 lugs/studs lug nuts should be replaced. They are not tested for integrity, they are simply replaced. And as the existing recall posts/threads in the Maintenance and TSB section discuss, brake rotor wheel mounting surfaces will be checked for flatness etc.. If your car met the recall specifications, all 20 lugs lug nuts should be replaced.

For vehicles not affected by the recall, defective lugs/studs would be replaced on an as-needed basis if there is an issue.

Good luck.. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

Hi Fred. :D Just as an FYI: As part of the recall, all 20 lugs/studs on cars affected by the recall will be replaced. Therefore, if a Fusion/Milan which was factory equipped with steel wheels has a build date corresponding to the two specific recall time periods is presented for service, all 20 lugs/studs should be replaced. They are not tested for integrity, they are simply replaced. And as the existing recall posts/threads in the Maintenance and TSB section discuss, brake rotor wheel mounting surfaces will be checked for flatness etc.. If your car met the recall specifications, all 20 lugs should be replaced.

For vehicles not affected by the recall, defective lugs/studs would be replaced on an as-needed basis if there is an issue.

Good luck.. :beerchug:

Hmmmmmmmmmmm........ :headscratch: :headscratch:

I'm theorizing here but am pretty sure my car will be part of the recall. Don't know if there is any cross-referencing of performed recall services and / or post cards sent out, however, due to our litigous society, I am awaiting my notification.

Don't know your relationship to FMC, however, if what you are saying is correct, then when I get my post card, it sounds like I'm going to have to take the Fusion in again and have all lugnuts and studs replaced except for the driver's side front wheel which was already done. :unsure:

When I first gingerly drove into the dealership to ask about the recall, I was told that I have to wait for notification from Ford and to come back later as parts were not available en masse until January. It was not until I asked if I should continue to drive with 3 lugnuts on the front wheel till January did he look at the car and scheduled me in.

When the car was corrected, I asked if I can ignore the post card when I receive it and was told my car checked out. However, in reading this post above, it sounds like I'll have to get all new studs and bolts replaced..... :headscratch: :do what: :do what:

Looks like I'm going to have to jack up the car, remove the passenger side wheels to see if the other 10 studs were replaced...... :headscratch: :headscratch: and if not, wait for the official notification to get all 20 studs and lugnuts redone and come in again.

As Moderator, do you know the NDTs performed on the remaining untouched studs? LP?, Mag Part?, RT? Because it really seems nothing was replaced on the driver's side rear and passenger's side wheels.

Fred

Edited by fsclaol

Hmmmmmmmmmmm........ :headscratch: :headscratch:

I'm theorizing here but am pretty sure my car will be part of the recall. Don't know if there is any cross-referencing of performed recall services and / or post cards sent out, however, due to our litigous society, I am awaiting my notification.

Don't know your relationship to FMC, however, if what you are saying is correct, then when I get my post card, it sounds like I'm going to have to take the Fusion in again and have all lugnuts and studs replaced except for the driver's side front wheel which was already done. :unsure:

When I first gingerly drove into the dealership to ask about the recall, I was told that I have to wait for notification from Ford and to come back later as parts were not available en masse until January. It was not until I asked if I should continue to drive with 3 lugnuts on the front wheel till January did he look at the car and scheduled me in.

When the car was corrected, I asked if I can ignore the post card when I receive it and was told my car checked out. However, in reading this post above, it sounds like I'll have to get all new studs and bolts replaced..... :headscratch: :do what: :do what:

Looks like I'm going to have to jack up the car, remove the passenger side wheels to see if the other 10 studs were replaced...... :headscratch: :headscratch: and if not, wait for the official notification to get all 20 studs and lugnuts redone and come in again.

As Moderator, do you know the NDTs performed on the remaining untouched studs? LP?, Mag Part?, RT? Because it really seems nothing was replaced on the driver's side rear and passenger's side wheels.

Fred

EDITED for accuracy since I misread the recall notice (lugs vs. lugnuts)

Hi Fred. :D Okay, several subjects to cover here. First, to hopefully simplify what is becoming a complicated discussion, here are the basics of the recall (my bolding/underlining for crucial info): ""Ford is conducting a voluntary safety recall 11S23 involving certain 2010 and 2011 model year Ford Fusion and Mercury Milan vehicles originally equipped with 17 inch steel wheels and built from April 1, 2009, through April 30, 2009, and from December 1, 2009, through November 13, 2010, to address the potential for wheel separation. Vehicles equipped with alloy wheels are not affected."

From the NHTSA website, here is the remedy (NHTSA's CAPS): "Remedy: FORD WILL NOTIFY OWNERS, AND DEALERS WILL INSPECT THE REAR BRAKE DISC SURFACE FOR FLATNESS AND REPLACE THE DISCS AS NECESSARY. ADDITIONALLY, THE WHEEL LUG NUTS WILL BE REPLACED ON ALL FOUR WHEELS. THE SAFETY RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN ON OR ABOUT JANUARY 24, 2012. OWNERS MAY CONTACT THE FORD MOTOR COMPANY CUSTOMER RELATIONSHIP CENTER AT 1-866-436-7332.".

So if a Fusion/Milan came from the factory with 17" steel wheels and has a build date which falls within the two recall time periods listed, it will be recalled. A vehicle owner can find their build date (mm/yy) listed on the manufacturers plate located on the drivers side door sill/jamb. Just compare it to the recall dates for verification.

Next, as stated above, the recall campaign start date is 1/24/2012. At this point, everyone needs to keep in mind that the recall campaign has not begun yet. We are only in the Dealer notification stage. In fact, affected vehicle owners are only beginning to be officially notified (but due to the wonders of the Internet, many already know and are in a hurry to have repairs). However, getting information and updated parts out to Dealerships takes time. So in your particular case, if your car is part of the recall (sounds as though it is from the Dealers initial response) you will be notified by postcard that your car is part of the recall. Then all lug nuts will be replaced if they were not already.

Next, there is no need to jack up the car and remove the passenger side wheels to see if anything was replaced. Your work invoice should list what work was performed and the parts used. If for some reason it does not, simply call your Dealerships Service Department and ask the Service Manager/Service Writer what work was performed.

For this last part, you may need to take off your engineers hat for a minute: The Dealer will not perform any of the testing procedures you mention. For the safety and convenience of Fusion/Milan owners, cost effectiveness and simple expediency, all 20 lugs nuts and any other damaged components affected by the recall will simply be replaced, as the recall text states.

Hope this clears up any confusion.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

I just came from the dealer to have a TSB done for the AC freeze up and transmission shift quality. While I was there the service manage informed me that there was a TSB for wheel stud inspection that just came in today (Dec 22) and they would like to do the inspection on my vehicle. Because I knew of this before hand because of this forum I thought it was a stud replacement. He explain to me that there was a problem with with the rotors and steel wheel and that over a period of time the the lug nuts could back off and the loose wheel assembly could cause stud damage. The inspection involved removing the wheels and inspecting the studs for damage then check the rotors for flatness were the steel wheel contacts. If you never had a loose wheel your studs will be fine. If they find the rotors out of spec or the studs damaged they replace them. When I when in they inspected the studs and found no damage so nothing was done. I run aftermarket performance rotors and aftermarket rims so nothing else needed to be done. What I get from all this is Ford's rotor supplier provided them with a bad batch of rotors which is causing the wheels to come loose. There is nothing wrong with the quality or strength of the studs.

I just came from the dealer to have a TSB done for the AC freeze up and transmission shift quality. While I was there the service manage informed me that there was a TSB for wheel stud inspection that just came in today (Dec 22) and they would like to do the inspection on my vehicle. Because I knew of this before hand because of this forum I thought it was a stud replacement. He explain to me that there was a problem with with the rotors and steel wheel and that over a period of time the the lug nuts could back off and the loose wheel assembly could cause stud damage. The inspection involved removing the wheels and inspecting the studs for damage then check the rotors for flatness were the steel wheel contacts. If you never had a loose wheel your studs will be fine. If they find the rotors out of spec or the studs damaged they replace them. When I when in they inspected the studs and found no damage so nothing was done. I run aftermarket performance rotors and aftermarket rims so nothing else needed to be done. What I get from all this is Ford's rotor supplier provided them with a bad batch of rotors which is causing the wheels to come loose. There is nothing wrong with the quality or strength of the studs.

Hi RuggyBuggy. :D That is correct, there is nothing wrong with the lugs/studs themselves. It is an issue with the seating surfaces of the steel wheels and brake rotors that can lead to lug/stud damage. All of this information is in the recall notice, the NHTSA website and most stories concerning the recall itself

However, for several reasons, all cars affected by the recall will have all lugs/studs replaced. Essentially, to ensure safety, all lugs will be replaced since damage would/could be extremely difficult to discern with the naked eye (damage can be microscopic). Additionally, it would take longer (inconveniencing Fusion/Milan owners) and be more expensive to correctly inspect 20 lugs per car for possible microscopic damage than to simply replace 20 lugs per car. The recall notice states that all lugs will be replaced on all affected cars.

Why your Dealer did what they did I cannot explain. One possibility would be the fact that the recall campaign has not begun yet, so they should not be replacing lugs/studs which are not damaged yet (not until the recall campaign begins), as mentioned in the previous post. Another could be that it was a simple courtesy inspection which they performed for your safety. Once you receive a recall notice, you will have all the information at your disposal.

From the NHTSA website, here is the remedy (NHTSA's CAPS): "Remedy: FORD WILL NOTIFY OWNERS, AND DEALERS WILL INSPECT THE REAR BRAKE DISC SURFACE FOR FLATNESS AND REPLACE THE DISCS AS NECESSARY. ADDITIONALLY, THE WHEEL LUG NUTS WILL BE REPLACED ON ALL FOUR WHEELS. THE SAFETY RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN ON OR ABOUT JANUARY 24, 2012. OWNERS MAY CONTACT THE FORD MOTOR COMPANY CUSTOMER RELATIONSHIP CENTER AT 1-866-436-7332.".

However, for several reasons, all cars affected by the recall will have all lugs/studs replaced. Essentially, to ensure safety, all lugs will be replaced since damage would/could be extremely difficult to discern with the naked eye (damage can be microscopic). Additionally, it would take longer (inconveniencing Fusion/Milan owners) and be more expensive to correctly inspect 20 lugs per car for possible microscopic damage than to simply replace 20 lugs per car. The recall notice states that all lugs will be replaced on all affected cars.

Was there other language that said the studs themselves would all be replaced - other than what I highlighted above? What I highlighted only says the lug nuts will be replaced, not all of the studs. If true that would explain why the dealer did not replace all of the studs. If not true then maybe the dealer misread the recall.

Was there other language that said the studs themselves would all be replaced - other than what I highlighted above? What I highlighted only says the lug nuts will be replaced, not all of the studs. If true that would explain why the dealer did not replace all of the studs. If not true then maybe the dealer misread the recall.

Hi Allen. :D Ooops, I missed the "nuts"! :hysterical: Thanks for catching that. You are correct, it is the lug nuts, not the lugs/studs that are being replaced. That is what I get for reading through too quickly.

I will go back and correct my previous posts to avoid confusion for others.

Why your Dealer did what they did I cannot explain. One possibility would be the fact that the recall campaign has not begun yet, so they should not be replacing lugs/studs which are not damaged yet (not until the recall campaign begins), as mentioned in the previous post. Another could be that it was a simple courtesy inspection which they performed for your safety. Once you receive a recall notice, you will have all the information at your disposal.

That probably is correct. What I thought strange was that the service writer said that when I put me steel wheels back on to take it back in to my local dealer for inspection. I'm currently in Florida on vacation and came down with my summer rims and tires on. Wonder how they will react to the aftermarket rotors?

So it looks that the combination of factory installed 17" steel wheels and brake components affects the lug nuts.

My car was fitted with 17 alloys but I use 16" steel rims for winter tires. Should I be concerned?

So it looks that the combination of factory installed 17" steel wheels and brake components affects the lug nuts.

My car was fitted with 17 alloys but I use 16" steel rims for winter tires. Should I be concerned?

It sounds like the lug nut tightener overtorqued them damaging the studs which could then damage the rotors as well. So yes, you should be concerned since the damage occurred at the factory.

Lug nuts were not overtightened from the factory (where did you read that?). They have a very expensive tool that tightens each lug nut to the precise torque specs. The problem occurs because the brake and wheel surfaces did not have the proper curvature so when tightened together, there was a degree of freedom that shouldn't have existed that put sideways forces on the lug studs. These forces change direction as the wheel is turing, and over time the constant bending in a circle causes metal fatigue and the studs to crack.

If the steel wheels you used were properly designed, you should not have a problem. Ford will not perform the recall checks on your vehicle because you have aftermarket wheels. If you're concerned, you can perform the stud and rotor inspection yourself. I've posted the procedure on another topic under the recalls section.

Lug nuts were not overtightened from the factory (where did you read that?). They have a very expensive tool that tightens each lug nut to the precise torque specs. The problem occurs because the brake and wheel surfaces did not have the proper curvature so when tightened together, there was a degree of freedom that shouldn't have existed that put sideways forces on the lug studs. These forces change direction as the wheel is turing, and over time the constant bending in a circle causes metal fatigue and the studs to crack.

Not sure where I read that - or maybe I just misinterpreted it. I know they use a torque gun to tighten all 5 lug nuts at once to the proper torque - I guess I just assumed it was misadjusted or malfunctioned.

Any Fusion with the alloy wheels is not affected by the recall but if your using a 16" steel wheel I would have the rotors checked to insure that they are within spec. From what I get from this is the alloy wheel is able to adapt to the irregular rotor surface but the steel wheel can't. The loose steel wheel results in stud damage. Pretty sure it has nothing to do with over torquing at the factory.

So here we are in 2015 and my 2010 Mercury Milan continues to experience this issue. Four more broken studs, after being through the recall.

--- Any idea how to be the recall re-done ?

My recall clearly did not fix the issue on my Milan. Note this is otherwise a great car. But i still walk around it once a week or so, checking for missing lug nuts (due to broken studs.)

Nothing like a wheel potentially falling of to ruin your day...

Thanks, Mark

So here we are in 2015 and my 2010 Mercury Milan continues to experience this issue. Four more broken studs, after being through the recall.

--- Any idea how to be the recall re-done ?

My recall clearly did not fix the issue on my Milan. Note this is otherwise a great car. But i still walk around it once a week or so, checking for missing lug nuts (due to broken studs.)

Nothing like a wheel potentially falling of to ruin your day...

Thanks, Mark

Hi mwarner88,

Have you been back to your dealer to get this taken care of? Please let me know, along with your mileage. I'll look into some options.

Meagan

Same problem here, over and over. All but one on the front wheels; the drive and turning wheels. My Ford shop changed all 10 front studs on the dealer's dime after we paid for others. Then, after we bent a rim (not at all sure how that happened), they installed a new right front 17" steel wheel. When we got home, I took the wheel off to see what the difference was between the 2010 wheels and the new 2017 wheel. The new wheel was stamped 12/2016 manufactured date. I did not notice, or measure the stud holes in the wheels. I was particularly interested in the size and overlap of the hub hole in the center. The old wheels have almost zero overlap between the hub and and wheel center. The new wheel has about 1/8" overlap. When reinstalling the RF wheel, another stud broke before I got to 100 ft-lb on a $400, calibrated torque wrench. I took the car back to the dealer and they replaced all five studs on that wheel with Dorman 468 studs and new Ford lug nuts. Meanwhile, after speaking to Dorman, I had ordered Dorman 468 studs and replacement lug nuts. Since then, I have replaced all five of the LF wheel fasteners with the Dorman parts. Since that was just yesterday, I have nothing to report yet.

I "blued" the wheel to hub fit on old wheels and the new wheel. All look similar. I checked the hubs for flatness. They are all flat.

My wheel numbers are all AE5C-1015-AA. My understanding was that this problem was associated with the part number that ended in "-A", not "-AA".

Our daughter also has a 2010 Fusion with 17" wheels. She lives 600 miles away and will be home at the end of May. She has experienced NO problems with her lugs, so I am anxious to compare her wheels, studs, hubs, etc. when she is here.

Another thread suggests that the wheel holes on the original wheels are sized too large allowing movement. It also suggests re-tonguing the nuts after a few hundred miles and again after another few hundred miles.

As a 35-year graduate Mechanical Engineer, this drives me nuts. No pun intended.

The Recall was for the wrong "type" of lug nuts, and they also checked the wheels and studs for damage because of that, and for some odd reason they also changed the rear brake pads on mine.................