Topic: clunk/rattle from passenger side-poll & action to take!

eiching1

OK, so here is the deal. There have been a number of people, including dino1234 and myself, that have noise coming from the right side of the car. It sounds like it is coming from the back, but is most likely from the front (suspension?). It happens when going over speed bumps and bumps in the road, not necessarily pot holes though. Sounds like a hollow clunking noise (ball in a wooden box or tennis ball in a tube). We are trying to get some force in numbers to call Ford/Mercury all at once to complain. Also, to see if it is prevalent in the same vehicle. So far dino & myself both have I4 auto’s, but 2007 & 2006. If you have this problem, chime in and take the poll and at some point in the next couple weeks we’ll call and start what I hope will be the stampede to get this corrected. The dealers do not want to spend enough time to track it down so we need Ford to step up to the plate. Let’s go. You can take the poll here, but I am trying to keep the results in one place. So, click the link, take the poll and chime in.

http://www.fordfusion.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1409

http://www.fordfusionclub.com/index.php?to...7199#msg1847199

Before you get too excited - check the sun visors, especially the passenger side. I've had a similar rattle that sounded like it was coming from the right rear passenger seat 2 or 3 times and every time it turned out to be the passenger side sun visor. It pulls out of the clip very easily and it's not obvious unless you're looking for it. I have no idea how the sound gets bounced around to sound like it's coming from the rear but it does. Even knowing about it now it takes a minute or so for me to remember to check the visor due to the sound direction.

Before you get too excited - check the sun visors, especially the passenger side. I've had a similar rattle that sounded like it was coming from the right rear passenger seat 2 or 3 times and every time it turned out to be the passenger side sun visor. It pulls out of the clip very easily and it's not obvious unless you're looking for it. I have no idea how the sound gets bounced around to sound like it's coming from the rear but it does. Even knowing about it now it takes a minute or so for me to remember to check the visor due to the sound direction.

akirby, Thanks for the input, but, been ther done that. I have also had a strange clicking sound everytime I turned a corner. After 1-2 hours of frustration, I notice a vibration in the center armrest. It seems my 17 year old has put a couple of loose cd's in there, on end. So, everytime I turned a corner they would roll back and forth and hit the sides of the compartment. Thanks again.

So long as the dealership techs are properly documenting their repair orders, Ford alreay keeps tabs on the number of concerns that come across each and every vehicle line.

That may be true, but that doesn't mean they will do anything with the info. One call here and one call there will not draw much attention. A number of call all at once may

I have read about the issue you have experienced regarding a noise generated by your Fusion. I have a 2007 SEL I4 and I am likely a step above in criticality when it comes to noise that is not supposed to be there. My Fusion has been exhibiting the same issue and I started doing some troubleshooting on my own prior to a visit to the dealer - which occurred yesterday. ( I found the issue )

Over the past month, I have intermittently been under the car looking for suspension issues or anything in general that may be loose. Everything is tight concerning front and rear suspension. Very well designed and very robust compared to Honda and Toyota counterparts. Okay - clunking sounds did not happen all the time, which was the first hint. And the issue only occurred on the right side of the car towards the front and transmitting sound toward the center of the passenger side. The aggravating thing about this was that I could not reproduce the issue upon command in preparation for a dealer visit.

Here is what I found today, which solved the issue completely and I am very excited to have resolved this issue - since I like every aspect of my Ford Fusion. The issue on my car was due to the mounting position of the Coolant Reservoir. You'll notice that the Coolant Reservoir is clear and has two mounting fasteners on the top. The issue is related to a fixed, captive mount molded onto the Reservoir, which loosely engages the passenger-side fender-well. Due to the fluid volume and mass associated with this in combination with the loose mounting scheme, it would jostle and when hitting the perfect bump, there would be the annoying and elusive clunk.

How did I fix this? - As mentioned previously, the Coolant Reservoir has two mounting fasteners. There is roughly 1/4 diametric clearance around the fasteners and the plastic potion of the Reservoir. To take up all slack, (with fasteners removed) I actually slightly bent the front mounting bracket down about 1/8" to force the Coolant Reservoir into a slightly lower position forcing the guide on the fender well to bind a little. The next thing, which is likely more important - I pulled the reservoir as far to the passenger side as possible while tightening both fasteners.

This took up all the slack and thereby prevents the Coolant Reservoir from moving, even when wailing on it in slight frustration due to having to go through this at home, when I normally go through these things at work everyday with various mechanism design. To add to this, I am on vacation, so the wailing was somewhat therapeutic. Have road testing thoroughly and found this issue resolved. Back to vacation!! Hope your issue is similar and can be solved in the same manner.

New Hampshire Dan B.

• 10 months later...

To isolate noises, I find that a good first step is to remove everything you can from all the compartments - glove box, center dash compartment, and both armrest compartments. Stick it all in a box and leave it at home while you go on a test drive... many times I've found it's something like that.

I did have the sun visor-came-undone noise this week, and fixed it. Only problem noise now is a "creak" or "crunch" in the center dash when I go over joints in concrete interstates... anyone have a solution for that?

• 4 weeks later...

I got the same noise going over speed bumps cant tell if its from the front or back but i think its the front.. Im going to get them to check it out next oil change seein as im still under warrenty.

anyother problem I have is with my gas gauge it never dead on it seems sometimes it reads higher then it should be..like if I park on a hill and then start driving it will say its higher but doesnt seem to return to normal for quite some time.

Ford had said there was no problem and they couldnt do anything about it which kinda pissed me off since it only has 8000km on it.

I got the same noise going over speed bumps cant tell if its from the front or back but i think its the front.. Im going to get them to check it out next oil change seein as im still under warrenty.

anyother problem I have is with my gas gauge it never dead on it seems sometimes it reads higher then it should be..like if I park on a hill and then start driving it will say its higher but doesnt seem to return to normal for quite some time.

Ford had said there was no problem and they couldnt do anything about it which kinda pissed me off since it only has 8000km on it.

Hi DFA. :D Unfortunately, I can not assist with much helpful advice concerning what may be causing the noises.

However, I can tell you that the "problem" with the gas gauge is not a problem. It is normal. If you are parked on a hill, it will take some time for the gauge to re-register the proper reading. The only way around it is to turn the ignition to the "Off" position while parked on flat terrain, then restart the car. Then the gauge will recalibrate itself.

Good luck. :beerchug:

thanks bbf!

Yeah its not a real problem at all the gauge always goes back to normal..I was worried at first but FORD tested it out and said its fine.

only other problem I have is I curbed it super hard right after I bought it and blew the tire...and Kal tire only had a tire that was same size not the same tire.. so it felt like my wheel alignment was out but figured with a bit of a diff tread pattern it would feel a tiny bit out..wasnt bad at all

I just put 4 new winter tires on the same rims and my car drives fine except on the highway once im doing 80+km/h i get alot of viberation in the steering wheel

any chance its just the big treads and winter tires causing this?? I was going to take it back to the tire guys and see if there balancing was wrong.

thanks bbf!

Yeah its not a real problem at all the gauge always goes back to normal..I was worried at first but FORD tested it out and said its fine.

only other problem I have is I curbed it super hard right after I bought it and blew the tire...and Kal tire only had a tire that was same size not the same tire.. so it felt like my wheel alignment was out but figured with a bit of a diff tread pattern it would feel a tiny bit out..wasnt bad at all

I just put 4 new winter tires on the same rims and my car drives fine except on the highway once im doing 80+km/h i get alot of viberation in the steering wheel

any chance its just the big treads and winter tires causing this?? I was going to take it back to the tire guys and see if there balancing was wrong.

Hi DFA. :D The vibration problem can have several culprits. The big tread/winter tires are not the likely ones. As you mentioned, improper balancing could be the problem.

Some of the other possibilities include but would not be limited to: A bent wheel from the same curb hit. It is also possible that you damaged suspension components in the curb hit. Another possibility would be an "out of round" new tire (it happens more than you would expect).

Since you say the problem started after the four new tires were installed, I would place my money on an incorrectly balanced wheel/tire combo, or an "out of round " new tire. Most likely on the front wheels, since it is giving you a severe steering wheel shake.

You should definitely take it back to the shop that installed the tires so they can correct the problem.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Another source of a rattle from the right side: the passenger front seatbelt hitting the plastic piece on the side of the seat.

Take a piece of thick felt, sticky-backed, and stick it to that plastic piece on the side of the seat.. now if the belt buckle hits it, it will have a nice soft cushion and not rattle any more.

The issue on my car was due to the mounting position of the Coolant Reservoir.
I have exactly the same problem!

I have yet to fix it, but at least I know the issue is relatively benign, and no longer have a paranoid fear of a tie rod end or ball joint coming loose...