2010 Splash Guards/Mud Flaps

pcsgrp35se

I just got back from a 4k trip and noticed the need for some sort of splash guard/mud flap. Driving out it Iowa and Kansas on the dirt roads and looking under the car to see where all that ice and snow gets kicked up and can sit just a perfect breeding ground for corossion made me do some checking. Unfortunately with a 2010, the dealers really don't have a lot of good information on fusion parts so I had to do some digging and here is what I found out.

On the official ford site, they recommended part no. XFSZ-16A550-AC this is the one with the ford oval and it is black. Ford lists that it will fit everythign from 2006 up to 2010

Going back I found another number 6E5Z-16A550-AA this is for a set of 4 with "fusion" on it rather then a ford logo surrounded in a white oval. They are considered molded and they fit the 2009 so based on the informaiton above, they should fit the 2010. I figure, it is going to be easy painting them using Fusion plastic paint and that may solve the problem.

They should be here in a day or two and I will see how they install and fit (hopefully with the sport they will work otherwise I am going to be selling them to a non sport owner. Since the several dealers I spoke with were totally clueless) and report out to everyone

I tried to buy splash guards from Ford. The reply I got from fordpartsdirectsupport [support@fordpartsdirect.com] in late May was this:

The Fusion is a brand new car for 2010, and apparently Ford isn't up to

speed on new splash guards yet. I've sent an inquiry to Ford's accessory

people asking for some /any information they might have about this. I'll

try

to let you know when I get a response from Ford, but feel free to send

another query in a couple of weeks. Thank you.

Scott

Ford Parts Direct

Customer Support Team

So I tried again on 7/1/09:

So far nothing new has been released. Personally I wouldn't think that this

process should be so complicated, but I guess when a manufacturer drops the

ball, it automatically becomes complicated. Please check back when the

interest reminds you. Thanks.

Scott

Ford Parts Direct

Customer Support Team

I was on the ford acc site and they listed the splash guards with the ford logo for all years of fusion from 2006-2010. Here is what I got from the ford site

Splash Guards, Flat Molded, Front or Rear

Part Number: XF2Z-16A550-AC

Guard against mud, snow and ice. Durable splash guards are embossed with Ford oval logo. Packaged in a 2-piece set for front or rear.

Fits:

Ford Fusion 2010 2009 2008 2007 2006

Based on this, the other one with fusion across the bottom and is a package of 4 must fit since that part number also fits 2006-2009

I was on the ford acc site and they listed the splash guards with the ford logo for all years of fusion from 2006-2010. Here is what I got from the ford site

Splash Guards, Flat Molded, Front or Rear

Part Number: XF2Z-16A550-AC

Guard against mud, snow and ice. Durable splash guards are embossed with Ford oval logo. Packaged in a 2-piece set for front or rear.

Fits:

Ford Fusion 2010 2009 2008 2007 2006

Based on this, the other one with fusion across the bottom and is a package of 4 must fit since that part number also fits 2006-2009

I hear everything you guys have said above, and do believe that 2010SEL is right on some things... With the 2010 Sport model they have a few extra skirt modlings and such on the front wheel wells and the back do angle in more that that of the 06-09 model.

Even though the ford model site lists it's ok, I still have some reservations... I'm thinking of waiting a bit longer and ensrue this is al true... Especially seeing how they don't denote anything about Sport model changes for the molded versions!

I think that ford does have a few things to evaluate on the 2010... I think that they noted this since it's using the same frame, but the moldings and body side items have been re-designed in the 2010.

If anyone hears otherwise, please keep us all posted!

There are 2 different kinds of splash guards. A "Flat", and a "Molded" style that are actually 3-dimensional and custom made to fit specific vehicles. The "flat" ones that Ford says will work on 2006-2010 Fusions will fit almost anything. They may or may not look right. Here is a link to the '06-'10 Flat guards: '06-'10 Flat Splash Guards The guards I am looking for are the other molded custom 3-dimensional style. Here is a link to the '06-'09 molded guards: '06-'09 Molded Splash Guards Per Ford, this "Molded" type are not available yet to fit a 2010 Fusion. Reason: the body is slightly different.

I hear you. I looked at the bodies of both a 2009 and 2010 and the front looks to be exactly the same with the three push pins to hold on the guards. The rear also looks very similar and there is a need to drill holes in the plastic piece behind the wheel in order to mount the rear ones. The parts came in and I plan on picking them up tomorrow night. I will put them against the wheel opening and see if they will work, if not, I woun't take them. I know with my last car, the molded ones were the same part number for three or four other nissans and the way they were constructed there was enough wiggle room to fit any application. As far as ford not having updated information, when I initially couldn't find a fl-500 filter at local part stores, I went to ford and they insisted that the fl-500s filter was not the correct filter for my car and wouldn't sell it to me. I had to go get the owners manual and show it to them. They gave me some BS about they would be liable if they sold me a part when their computer listed a different part. In terms of body shape, I really don't think the lower part of the car changed at all, it is mostly from the mid section up. Like I said, when I get the parts I will check it out and post what happened

Here is an update: I called a parts guy in Ohio who was very helpfull. Basically he told me what I thought to be true. For the rear, the part number for the right quarter panel for the 2009 and 2010 are the same. Both front door part numbers are the same so the arch of the fender should also be the same except for the 2010 has the modified upper part of the fender and hood. The left quarter panel is a different number but he thinks that is due to the capless fuel opening. Some other information, the part designation for fusion is 6E5Z, the 16A550 is the ford part designation for splash guard/mud flaps and the last designation AA is for a "kit" designation.

I hope he is correct. If it fits I will paint them the color of the car and install them this weekend

I was thinking of that when looking at it last night. The "ground effects" on the sport don't appear to be all that thick behind the front wheel. From some pictures I saw, it looks like you use the push pin on the bottom (currently used by the ground effects) as one of the fastening points. If they are like others I have been looking at, there may be enought free play on the back side of the flap and the wrap around lip may be sufficient to compenste for that. I guess tomorrow morning when I pick up the part I will find out. Even if the backs works and keeps all the stuff from getting underneath, I am ok with that.

Well, the molded mud flaps did not fit the sport. Parts guy said it was because of the ground effects but I don't think it is going to fit any of them. We tried both front and rear and they weren't even close. Fortunately I didn't have to pay for it. I did pick up those black strips for the sill plate, cut them down a little and installed them on the rear sill plates.

• 1 year later...

Ford or some aftermarket company needs to come up with some nice sill plates. The black plastic/ruber stick on looks really cheap. A nice chrome plate with Fusion or Ford lodo would be great. There is a very thin Stainless Steel sill plate available from aftermarket but it isnt all that great either.

Well, the molded mud flaps did not fit the sport. Parts guy said it was because of the ground effects but I don't think it is going to fit any of them. We tried both front and rear and they weren't even close. Fortunately I didn't have to pay for it. I did pick up those black strips for the sill plate, cut them down a little and installed them on the rear sill plates.

I think you and I are the only people who have gone to the trouble of installing them on the rear sills.