Head Restraint Comfort

WAFFH

On my drive home from the dealer in my new FFH, I realized that I was uncomfortable with the head restraint. I was getting a headache from my head being pushed forward by the anti whiplash design that prevented me from getting comfortable (could not adjust the angle of my head and neck by not being able to move my head back and forth). After checking to see if there was any adjustment front to back (No, there is not!) and trying the head restraint at different heights, I could find no comfort for my 6'2" frame. So, off came the driver's head restraint.

While enjoying the FFH every other way, I knew that I needed to find a solution instead of driving with no head restraint. I contacted a upholstery shop that I had done business with before and discussed the matter with them. After some experimenting, we found a solution.

The cover was taken off in one piece, then the head restraint taken apart. The steel hoop (a rectangular U shape) was carefully bent so that the angle was not so severe. (The top of the hoop is about 2.25" more to the vertical than original.) We temporarily put the head restraint back together to try it out. Because the lower part of the head restraint had moved up but not back, the "relief" was not quite what I wanted. So, the head restraint was disassembled again and we took about 1/2" out of the dark styrofoam (the steel hoop is closer to the "front" of the head restraint) with the result making the head restraint 1/2" farther back on the steel hoop. We tried it again, and walah, oh what sweet relief!

The styrofoam that was "cut out" was glued to the backside of the steel hoop and the head restraint was reassembled. The cover was then placed back on the head restraint and the complete assembly installed back in the car. By using the original cover, a lot of $$$ was saved.

I am so happy with the results that I thought that I would share it with other Fusion owners that might find the "forward leaning" safety head restraints uncomfortable. It makes all the difference to me!

post-3700-1250621350_thumb.jpg

post-3700-1250621363_thumb.jpg

On my drive home from the dealer in my new FFH, I realized that I was uncomfortable with the head restraint. I was getting a headache from my head being pushed forward by the anti whiplash design that prevented me from getting comfortable (could not adjust the angle of my head and neck by not being able to move my head back and forth). After checking to see if there was any adjustment front to back (No, there is not!) and trying the head restraint at different heights, I could find no comfort for my 6'2" frame. So, off came the driver's head restraint.

While enjoying the FFH every other way, I knew that I needed to find a solution instead of driving with no head restraint. I contacted a upholstery shop that I had done business with before and discussed the matter with them. After some experimenting, we found a solution.

The cover was taken off in one piece, then the head restraint taken apart. The steel hoop (a rectangular U shape) was carefully bent so that the angle was not so severe. (The top of the hoop is about 2.25" more to the vertical than original.) We temporarily put the head restraint back together to try it out. Because the lower part of the head restraint had moved up but not back, the "relief" was not quite what I wanted. So, the head restraint was disassembled again and we took about 1/2" out of the dark styrofoam (the steel hoop is closer to the "front" of the head restraint) with the result making the head restraint 1/2" farther back on the steel hoop. We tried it again, and walah, oh what sweet relief!

The styrofoam that was "cut out" was glued to the backside of the steel hoop and the head restraint was reassembled. The cover was then placed back on the head restraint and the complete assembly installed back in the car. By using the original cover, a lot of $$$ was saved.

I am so happy with the results that I thought that I would share it with other Fusion owners that might find the "forward leaning" safety head restraints uncomfortable. It makes all the difference to me!

That's great that you were able to get it modified to your liking without having to replace the cover etc. It's a matter of taste I guess because one of the things I really like about my current Ford Escape (07) is the way the headrests are positioned. I can do long rides and keep my head (back just a bit) on the headrest and it is in perfect relaxful position for me, which I really like. I think this is a FORD trademark on recent vehicles. I recently test drove a Fusion and didnt pay particular notice of the headrest but also do know that it didnt bother me either. Hopefully they will turn out to be similar to my Escape with regard to location and position. Anyway, good post with photos! Thanks for sharing.

I have been looking for a solution to this problem, and you seem to have nailed it. How much did this cost you, if I may ask? And does your man know anyone in L.A. who he can recommend?

I was given an estimate of $250 per headrest to modify and then recover them with new material to match the stock vinyl and stitching. After we figured out a way to carefully bend the metal hoop to be straighter and then cut the interior dark foam so that the head restraints fit farther back on the metal hoop, we were able to reuse the stock covers with no modifications. They ended up charging me about $230 for both head restraints. I thought that it was still high, but glad to get 'er done.

I didn't check any other upholstery shops but it would probably be smart to do so. If they know what needs to be done instead of "experimenting", it should reduce the price I would think.

I have been looking for a solution to this problem, and you seem to have nailed it. How much did this cost you, if I may ask? And does your man know anyone in L.A. who he can recommend?

Sorry that I don't know of an upholstery shop to recommend in the LA area but I'm sure there are plenty that could do a fine job.

Sorry that I don't know of an upholstery shop to recommend in the LA area but I'm sure there are plenty that could do a fine job.

I just reclined the seat a little bit, and my head doesn't hit it anymore. I can put my head back into the headrest and drive comfortably for long distances too...

• 1 month later...

I am also 6'2" and agree with FtLewis2002, the headrests aren't a problem at all for me or my passengers when the seats are reclined to where the rests don't stay in contact with your head. I find the seats more comfortable when they are slightly reclined and the top of my head doesn't hit the headliner on bumps either.

• 1 month later...

... I can do long rides and keep my head (back just a bit) on the headrest and it is in perfect relaxful position for me, which I really like. ...

I agree with Rodeo - I found 2010 Fusion headrest very confortable. Tilt my head back a little and it rests against the soft leather headrest. I tend to sit with the backrest almost vertical and in my previous vehicles my head never would rest against the headrest. So I could never relax my neck muscles on long drives. For me (6ft) the seat is almost perfect.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I had this same problem with the headrest on my 2010 SE. I purchased a pair of head rest from a 2007 Fusion off of Ebay for $50.00, with a little squeezing and thumping they fit. Color is a slight shade off but not enough to be real noticeable but the difference in comfort is night and day.

• 4 months later...

I'm interested in doing the same thing to my headrests. We don't drive the car very often (live in a big city), so I'm thinking I would like to send my headrests to the place where you got yours done. Can you PM me a name & city/phone number so that I can call them and arrange the details? Thanks!