ANSWER: Intermittent starting problem, 2010 I-4

03reptile

As a result of the previous post about our 2010 I-4s sometimes continuing to crank W/O starting, (2010 4 cly. keeps turning over), I spoke with my service manager at Ford. There is a TSB (technical service bulletin) out on this problem. It is TSB 09-19-1. Apparently there is a ground strap near the engine that is causing the problem. They replace it with an up-dated version and that is supposed to eliminate the no start issue. Mine is on order. This is warranty work and therefore it is of no cost to the owner. Just call your dealer, refer them to the TSB number, they will order the part, and install it under warranty. It doesn't take long ( 0.4 hr.) and you could probably wait while they install it. The reason for the no start issue is a little technical, but suffice it to say that the new grounding strap is supposed to eliminate the issue. Hope this settles this concern.

As a result of the previous post about our 2010 I-4s sometimes continuing to crank W/O starting, (2010 4 cly. keeps turning over), I spoke with my service manager at Ford. There is a TSB (technical service bulletin) out on this problem. It is TSB 09-19-1. Apparently there is a ground strap near the engine that is causing the problem. They replace it with an up-dated version and that is supposed to eliminate the no start issue. Mine is on order. This is warranty work and therefore it is of no cost to the owner. Just call your dealer, refer them to the TSB number, they will order the part, and install it under warranty. It doesn't take long ( 0.4 hr.) and you could probably wait while they install it. The reason for the no start issue is a little technical, but suffice it to say that the new grounding strap is supposed to eliminate the issue. Hope this settles this concern.

Does this pertain to the 2010 only?

Does this pertain to the 2010 only?

The TSB indicates 2010 Ford Fusion 2.5L four cylinder. No mention of other years or engines. It also covers the 2010 Mercury Milan w/ same engine. The TSB does indicate that it supersedes TSB 9-15-10. I don't know what that TSB specifically says but one can assume it is basically the same. Your dealer can tell you what 9-15-10 refers to.

• 2 years later...
This is warranty work and therefore it is of no cost to the owner.

Just to kinda clear that up...TSB's are not a warranty issue. They're kinda like a quick reference for a tech. It's like Ford enginers know about this problem is this is how you fix it. Yes, it is covered under your 3yr/36k warranty, but that's all. I would hate for anyone to get false hope.

I had this problem since like 2 months after purchasing the car. I brought it in time and time again to fix it and they could never replicate the issue. When I did the research myself I came across that TSB and brought it up to the dealership. They fought with me about it a little but I pushed and eventually called corporate to have them covere it (since I was slightly outside my 36K warranty, but had records of complaining of this issue since 4K miles) Corporate covered it and it has not been an issue since it was fixed which was about 6 months ago.